chapter fifteen.

chapter fifteen—❝ hurry, i'm worried ❞

chapter fifteen

❝ hurry, i'm worried ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

Walking into his own home didn't seem so hard when he had first thought about it back at the cabin.

For days he had already felt as if he were ready to be back. He could handle whatever his dad would say, whatever Nancy would scold him about. It wouldn't matter all that much to him, anyway. All he did was leave for a week. It's not like he was trying to stay gone forever.

All he wanted was to come to terms with the reality he was living in. He did it in the only way he knew how. Surrounding himself with El's presence and soothing company.

But when Chief Hopper pulled his truck to a stop in front of the Wheeler house, Mike's blood ran cold. Because parked right there in the driveway of the two storey home, his mother's car was parked beside his dad's.

He was stunned, to say the least. Unable to form any coherent thought.

Slowly, he swallowed, eyes glued to the simple vehicle. "Do I have to go inside?"

Chief Hopper exhaled a frustrated breath, and Mike didn't have to look at him to know he was pinching the bridge of his nose. "Your family was worried about you. Seems best if you head inside."

Mike sighs heavily, understanding his family's concern for him having abruptly left without an explanation. And though he still held some resentment towards his mom for doing the same thing, he realized he couldn't have held it against her for too much longer. Afterall, she was back home.

How convenient that it was time for him to be back, too.

With sluggish, hesitant movements, he dragged himself out of the vehicle. Both his feet planted to the ground firmly as he swung his backpack over his shoulder, his hand tightening as he stared at the looming presence of the house before him.

He spared a quick glance behind him towards El, who had a look of concern upon her soft features. Mike smiled towards her to offer some bit of reassurance before he quickly the shut the door behind him. With the way her dad was looking at him, he really needed to get away fast.

The house holds a looming presence that causes him to take a few slow, cautious steps along the lawn. His hands are mindlessly fidgeting with the material of his shirt as he walks, clearly hesitant and definitely not ready to be on the other side of that door.

But when he heard the truck door shut somewhere behind him, it caused a pinch between his brows as he turned only to find El running towards him.