chapter twenty.

chapter twenty-❝ feel your lips crush, hold you here, my loveliest friend ❞

chapter twenty
-
❝ feel your lips crush,
hold you here, my loveliest friend ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

The summer air was still fairly warm so late in the night, but as he rode his bike along the street on his way to El, the breeze that blew against his skin was rather cool.

It helped to calm him a bit. The cool wind nipping at his skin pushed aside any nerves, leaving only room for excitement. He pedalled so fast, not wanting to waste another second before he could finally tell her what he wanted to say.

Because he knew it. God, he knew for long enough that he was absolutely in love with her. And he couldn't believe he had let himself get distracted enough that he nearly forgot just how long had passed since she uttered those simple few words to him.

Mike couldn't wait to tell El that he loved her.

Meanwhile, El was staring up at the ceiling in her bedroom through the darkness. She sighed quietly when she continued to toss and turn, over and over, again and again trying to doze off. But for some reason, she couldn't. She wasn't sure why, but her mind was quite alive and very much awake as it was full of energy. Energy that she couldn't seem to tame.

Maybe it was because Joyce had spoken with Hopper not so long ago and she could clearly hear that as of tomorrow morning, she was no longer grounded. Maybe it was because of that, that she was feeling her nerves spike up as she worried what would happen when she would see Mike again. Maybe it was neither of those things and it was her constant replay of Max's words from earlier on.

No matter what it was, she wished it would have slipped away to the back of her mind by then. All she wanted was a little bit of sleep, but apparently that was too much to ask for.

As a loud thump resounds against her window, she nearly fell out of bed from the sudden unexpected sound. She quickly spun towards the direction of her window, brows furrowed as she thought to herself that maybe a bird had flung into it. But then she hears soft, repetitive knocking and she knows that wasn't the case.

El throws her blanket off of her as she padded along towards the window, pulling back her curtain to find none other than a nearly frantic Mike right on the other side of the glass. Surprised, she pushes the window up, feeling her heartbeat speeding up with every inch it opens.

Immediately, as he clung onto her window, chest heaving, he breathed out, "El, I need to- to say something."

"Oh my God, Mike!" she whisper-yelled, eyes wide as she quickly made her way towards her bedroom door, turning the lock.