chapter six.

chapter six—❝ just help me run away ❞

chapter six

❝ just help me run away ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

The Wheeler siblings could have guessed and placed their bets on when their parents marriage would finally unravel at the seams. It wasn’t like if they hadn’t already done it before, especially Nancy and Mike having spent more time around them than the youngest, but it had admittedly been some time since they last made their jokes on doing just that.

As cynical as it may sound, it really was not that dark or deep. It was really something more playful, something more lighthearted in their own way. Something that if they would have said to anyone else would surely earn them a few odd looks, but when brought up amongst each other, it was just another little joke.

Though it had been a while since that sort of talk had been around, it did not seem quite fitting to make those sort of jokes in the current situation.

Over the past week, it seemed that summer was just an endless stretch of time waiting for when their parents would finally snap and bring out divorce papers to slam right on the dining room table before everything else would soon follow. Because all that seemed to be around was their loud arguments over the littlest of things, their shouting insults from different rooms in the house until they would finally hush down at the presence of one of their children appearing before them.

And, though usually the three siblings would sit around in one of their bedrooms and make light of the situation, it felt almost impossible to do so now.

At this point, there was no reason for them to joke about “How much longer until they bring out the papers?” Because, really, it could have been any day now.

So, with a dull mood set upon the home as they tried to drown out the sounds of their parents fallout, they each sat in Holly’s bedroom. Nancy lay comfortably beside the small blonde, huddled up to her entire body as her tiny hands clutched onto the fabric of the elder’s summer dress. She held her closely, hoping to put her at ease, combing one hand through her hair. The only boy sat on the floor beside the others, pressing his cheek against the mattress as his outstretched hand rubbed soothingly upon Holly’s back.

“What’s going to happen if they keep doing this?” Holly meekly spoke up, voice feeble.

Mike let out a sigh, shutting his eyes softly. “They’ll probably get separated.”

“Is that bad?” she asked, her chocolate brown eyes wide as she looked up at Nancy.

Nancy mustered up a smile towards her sister. “Holly, don’t worry about it. Things will work out just fine.”