chapter eight.

chapter eight—❝ still hiding from the truth,my best friend kills the pain ❞

chapter eight

❝ still hiding from the truth,
my best friend kills the pain ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

Once halfway down the street, El suggested making a quick detour to head back for his bike. Going along on their way to the cabin by foot would have taken much too long.

Realizing she was right, Mike wasted no time in leading the short way back before he grabbed his bike from the side of the house. He swung one leg over, situating himself on the seat, adjusting the backpack his carried to leave enough room for El. She carefully climbed on behind him, her arms wrapping around his middle, holding on tight enough to ensure she wouldn’t fall as she pressed her chest against his back.

He felt himself tense up for a quick second, his breath quickening before he breathed in deeply, relaxed against her touch.

“Ready?” Mike asked her.

She wiggled slightly, moving her duffel bag, then nodded as she pressed her cheek right at the nape of his neck where he could feel each soft, warm breath of hers caressing his skin. “Ready.”

And then, at that time, they were really set off on their way.

Mike pedaled his feet leisurely, the cool of night flowing through their mixed strands of hair from the breeze they gained. El lifted her gaze towards the moon that was shining high above in the starry night sky, a small smile graciously curving her lips at just how perfectly at ease she felt despite everything else. Because it didn’t matter that it was the middle of the night, whether it was late hours of the night or very early hours of the morning. It didn’t matter that darkness crept among them through this town and that there could have been danger hidden in the dark. It didn’t matter that she wasn’t safely secure beneath the warm blanket of her bed, in the safety of her home with her dad and her new family members.

The warmth that emitted from none other than Mike Wheeler was plenty enough for her.

With her short and quick directions with each turn down each street until they reached the edge of the woods which led towards the secluded cabin, they each moved off the bike before El began leading the way after digging through her duffel bag for a flashlight to shine on the ground to watch their steps.

Mike moved the bike alongside him, carefully following her steps as his eyes darted around the tree filled area surrounding them. He had to admit, he was feeling a bit wary lurking through the woods in the middle of the night. They didn’t exactly know if there was somebody dangerous out there. And with that sudden thought, he couldn’t help but begin to worry. What if he had unintentionally put El in danger by doing this?