chapter ten.

chapter ten—❝ you’re obsessed with the moonand in love with the stars,i’m in love with your soul,and everything that you are ❞

chapter ten

❝ you’re obsessed with the moon
and in love with the stars,
i’m in love with your soul,
and everything that you are ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

The previous days had been a bit routine between them, but he wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. He loved the time they were spending together.

Mike learned quite quickly that spending entire days with her was different than spending plenty of hours together. Because there were little things that had always slipped past his mind, things he would not have noticed if he hadn’t been spending all hours of the day beside her for numerous days now.

One was the way she was always looking for something to hold onto when she was getting nervous. If her hand wasn’t holding onto something already, it seemed that she subconsciously needed to find something. Whether it was the scrunchie on her wrist, the hem of her shirt, the tips of her hair, or even sometimes object like a pencil or cup, she needed to hold onto something.

Another thing he noticed was the way she couldn’t stay still. Not entirely, anyway. Her fingers tapped along her thigh, her foot would bounce lightly on the wooden floor. He wasn’t sure how he had never noticed that before, but once he did, he couldn’t seem to ignore it after.

What he doesn’t know, though, is that El had also been noticing her own fair share of trivial things about her best friend.

As ridiculous as it sounded, she had never paid much attention to the way he laughed before. But throughout their days together, he laughed quite a bit. His mouth would be wide open, his head thrown back as the boisterous sound filled the air, eyes crinkling as a smile lingered for a few seconds after. She loved every detail of it.

Of course, there were plenty of little things they continued to catch on to, but it was all so different. Everything felt like it was being seen in a whole new perspective of theirs, ever since they danced together.

Anything they did left him flustered. All of their usual things caused his heart to race and his palms to sweat. Their nightly cuddles made it harder for him to sleep, and he could not figure out why. He was so used to the feel of her arms around him, her body pressed against his, he wasn’t sure what it was that prevented him from falling asleep peacefully.

Instead, while she was deep in her dreams, he was staring straight ahead of him towards the bedroom wall. The soft breaths that exhaled past her lips caressed his cheek and the feeling of her arms embracing him suddenly making it harder for him to relax.

El was unaware of what was troubling him in this way, and he tried his best to make it go unknown. It shouldn’t have been such a big deal, anyway. It was just something weird, and he blamed it on teenage hormones.