chapter nine.

chapter nine—❝ 'cause there's nothing likelocking my eyes with you ❞

chapter nine

❝ 'cause there's nothing like
locking my eyes with you ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

After they had woken up fairly early in the morning, the bright light streaming in through the parted curtains of the bedroom and casting light upon their tangled bodies beneath the sheets, the birds chirping freely outside heard through the open window. Through the peaceful grogginess of waking, El suggested that they get their necessary food as soon as they could to prevent running into any of their family during the daytime.

Truthfully, Mike was quite content in their position; his arms wrapped around her own that wound around his torso, her chin pressed against his shoulder, cheek nuzzled into the crook of his neck. Her hair tickled his cheek, and he could feel each breath of hers that slipped past her lips. He didn’t want to go anywhere if it meant needing to leave the comfort he practically surrounded himself with when she was near, practically drowning in her familiar scent that he could always describe as home.

But he knew that she was right. He didn’t want to risk the possibility of their families finding them so soon. He needed just a few days, at the very least. Just a few days, and then he would be fine.

Their clothes from before were wrinkled from having slept in it during the night. El yawned as she stretched her hands up above her, sitting up straight and arching her back before she slipped away from the bed, bending forward and releasing a groan. Mike rolled over onto his other side, his eyes watching her every move tiredly, one arm below his cheek.

El stood up straight, eyes meeting his own. “Come on. Let’s go.”

He groaned, and she rolled her eyes. She grabbed the duffel bag from the floor, carrying it out with her to the bathroom to change into a different outfit. Something more simple; a navy blue t-shirt, pale blue bottoms, white sneakers on her feet. She brushed her hair, pushed some strands behind her ears as she watched her reflection.

Once she stepped out, she found Mike in some fresh clothing; navy blue collared shirt, denim bottoms, white sneakers. Her lips curled up in amusement.

“Look,” she bumped her hip against his own, “we’re matching.”

Mike grinned, shaking his head softly as he began walking towards the door. “Alright, let’s go, then.”

The two set off on their way through the woodsy scenery. The bright sunlight was somewhat concealed by the surrounding leaves hanging from the tall trees as they trudged along, the soles of their sneakers snapping twigs underneath them.