In My Eyes- Chapter Nine

9. Strawberry Milkshakes

After the paint incident Emilee and I had to come back and do masks in detention. I just covered mine in black fabric and super-glued it. If it fell apart before Friday I would buy a new one. Apparently, making the mask yourself wasn’t compulsory.

Right now I was ditching school in favor of hanging out with my best friend Billy. We’d been together since we were toddlers- and we hadn’t been toddlers for a very long time- and had always been ‘inseparable’. He was also in charge of the royal guard back in the kingdom I come from, Astria.

“So, Ellen’s told me about your mate situation. Are the girls hot?”

I glared over at him, cursing my sister’s big mouth. “Yeah, I guess so. The blonde one more than the other.”

“Of course the blonde one’s hotter,” he chortled. “She’s probably your mate. Can I have a taste of the ‘other’, then?”

“NO!” Wincing at how loud my voice was, I repeated the word in a softer tone. “No.”

“Why not? You can’t keep them both to yourself, you know! That’s just not fair!”

“I can do whatever the hell I want! I’m the prince here, not you!”

“You can’t pull that shit on me, Chris! I know you better than anyone!” Billy glared at me. “Are you telling me that if the blonde one’s your mate you’ll take the other as your mistress? That’s low, even for you!”

“I don’t know what I’ll do but she can’t be with anyone else but me! I won’t allow it! Ever!” I shouted before thinking. Okay, now I just sound like a jealous mate.

Sadly, Billy agreed with me. “I don’t think the blonde one is your mate.”

“She has to be!”

“No she doesn’t,” he denied and rolled his eyes. “Your protective instincts are all pointing to the ‘other one’, whoever the hell she is.”

“That doesn’t mean anything, though! I might just be protective of her in a… in a brotherly way!” Okay now I just sound desperate. I should stop.

That was not brotherly. That was jealous mate.”

“Shut up! I don’t want to talk to you anymore!” I think Emilee’s childishness had rubbed off on me. Billy rolled his eyes.

“Sooo…When can I meet her?”

“NEVER! SHE’S NOT MY MATE!”

“You’re in denial, Chris.” He rolled his eyes again. “Fine. If she’s not your mate, she’s going to be my snack.”

Without thinking, I launched myself at him and tackled him to the ground. I managed to get a good few punches in before he threw me off and into a tree.

“See? Protective!” he chortled.

“I’m not protective!” I shouted and stood up.

“Then I guess I’m free to-”

“SHUT UP!”

He started laughing again. “TOLD YOU SO! PROTEEECTIVE!”

“It’s just because she’s smaller than the average human,” I decided. “She’s not my mate. She can’t be. You haven’t even met her, but I have and she’s definitely not a princess in any way. She’s more like a… a gypsy!”

“Gypsies are a good fuck,” Billy said thoughtfully. “If she’s not your mate I want a go with her.”

“NO!”