Chapter Four

C H A P T E R   F O U R
_________________________
D Y L A N

I could feel Aurelie's eyes on me all period. She was sitting next to me and while she was trying to be, she wasn't very discreet. I'm not sure if it's because of the bruise over my eye or the incident yesterday, but I'm not particularly fond of finding out.

The teacher lets us go halfway through the period to do reading with our seat mates, and it's now that Aurelie finally talks to me.

"You okay, Danielle?" She asks, a sweet softness in her voice that makes me want to puke. "Your eye..." she winces. "It looks bad. Does it hurt?" I shake my head. It did, a little bit, as all bruises do, but little things like pain mean nothing to me, especially when they're injuries that I let happen.

"I'm alright, don't worry about it," I mumble. The lass never leaves me alone, and all I want is for her to do so. It's not just because I don't want eyes on me, noticing mistakes in my act or questioning me about my past or my brother, but because I can't stand it when people hunch over and feel sorry for me. I don't need sympathy, don't want it, and she radiates it.

She sighs before glancing to the textbook. "Oh, sorry, I actually read ahead and I'm actually on Chapter 25 now," she confesses. I nod.

"That's alright. I've actually finished the textbook," I inform, skimming the page of the math textbook I've had out. I'm ahead in advanced classes, so I guess that makes me an overachiever, but as Danielle Blake I don't have any friends or hobbies, so I've got a lot of free time on my hands. I wouldn't say I'm a genius or anything like my facade would lead someone to believe, but I do know I'm smart enough to pass as one.

"Oh, wow, really? Why?" She asks. "I mean, I like preparing for class too, but that's a little excessive." I shrug.

"Well, I don't have any friends, so I've got to fill my time with something." That proves to be the wrong thing to say, because she reacts immediately, the oversaturated sympathy returning once more.

"Don't say that! You're really nice, Danielle, you can make lots of friends!" She smiles. "You already have one." I narrow my eyes. I was trying my best to keep up the shy 'good girl' act, but I can't handle this. I don't want her around me, I don't want her watching me. I don't want anyone paying any attention to me whatsoever, because I'm certain I'll slip up one day, and I don't want people to know who I really am.

For more reasons than one.

"Don't be ridiculous," I say cooly. "I'm far from nice, we both know that. And I don't want to be your friend, either," I insist. "I'm not someone you need to worry about, so there's no need to pretend to want to be my friend just because you pity me." Aurelie pouts at this, big, round, emerald eyes softening as she shakes her head.

"That's not it, Danielle!" She insists. "I'm worried, alright? I am. You get bullied, y-you come to class all bruised and-and beat up, you have a secret brother!" I hush her, but she continues. "You're secretive! You're cold! But that's not why I want to be your friend!" She runs a hand through her hair, pale skin combing through shiny brunette locks. "You're smart. No, you're more than smart, you're a freaking genius," she says. "You're creative and clearly strong-willed to continue even with the state of your reputation, you're committed and ambitious and..." she swallows, looking away. "I just...I kinda like you. I-in a friendly way, of course!" I scoff. I can tell she likes me in a more than friendly way, but I certainly won't acknowledge it. I don't think Danielle Blake would pick up on something like that, especially because she hasn't had any romantic relationships before.