Chapter Seventeen

C H A P T E R   S E V E N T E E N
_________________________
D Y L A N

Dylan took in a deep breath, attempting to steady her breathing. The makeshift splint of her ankle dug into her skin, drawing a deep crimson that burned as it dribbled down her skin. A whimper slipped past her lips, hot white fire creeping under her skin as she pressed a hand into her side.

Pressing further into the corner, Dylan began to push away her panic. She'd found simple calculations tended to work best in these scenarios, replying on numbers and letters more than any semblance of calming words, reminding herself of the dimensions of the room as she shut her eyes tight, careful not to make any more noise.

"You're in here somewhere, Brookes!" A gravely voice called out. She could hear the heavy footsteps, firm boots hitting concrete.

"We just wanna talk!" Hissed another. Dylan swallowed, numbers running through her head as she pressed firmly on her wound. She'd need stitching, and she'd need it soon, otherwise, she'd most certainly bleed out. She couldn't afford to lose, couldn't let herself die; certainly not now, not here, not when she was so close.

Her free hand held tightly onto her gun, the cool metal heating under her grasp.

Four men, she reminded herself. Roughly eight meters away. All armed, all cons. Intent to kill.

"THIS ISN'T A GAME, LITTLE GIRL!" She shuddered at the volume of the voice, the man's words echoing throughout the empty parking lot. Smushed between two cars and a support beam, she stood no chance of running away. Her bike was on another level, and escape was impossible. She wasn't certain she'd be able to fight her way out.

Three around the corner, one behind. If they round corner, I'll be able to shoot them from behind the car. But if he's behind me...

She swallowed. There wasn't any time to think about it now. Six bullets. She could afford two extra shots.

She quickly pulled out from her hiding place, gun brandished in her right hand. She fired at the three men in the walkway between either side of the parking spaces. Three shots, two dead. She grimaced. That left her with only one extra bullet.

The remaining man fired his own weapon, and she quickly dove behind another car. Overhead the class shattered, falling onto the ground beside her, into her lap, and in her hair. Her chest heaved, the fire in her left side ablaze. Momentarily, her vision went white, but another fire from the enemy alerted her, the bullet making contact with the wall in front of her. Her jaw clenched involuntarily. Her ankle flared as she stood once more, legs stiff from running. She slipped between the walls and the fronts of the parked cars. Bullets rained from above, shattering car windows as the shells hit the floor.

"YOU CAN'T HIDE FOREVER, GIRLIE!" One man roared over the noise. Dylan swallowed. She knew that—he was right; she couldn't hide forever.

Slipping soundlessly past the cars as the glass shattered, another bullet slipped by far too closely, cutting into her cheek. A pained cry escaped from her throat as the blood rolled down her cheek and jaw.

How am I supposed to explain this? She thought. Darren will be pissed.

She moved quickly, standing up and firing quickly as the man paused to reload. He fell immediately, blood and brains splattering across the pavement.