Chapter Fourteen

C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
_________________________
D Y L A N

When Dylan returned to her dorm, she was surprised to see Delilah still up, awaiting her arrival. She frowned and checked the time. While it was only 7:30, the sky was dark. She'd expected Delilah to at least be winding down by now, if not watching a movie or something. But instead, she sat in Dylan's desk chair, gaze hardening when their eyes met.

"You've got some nerve, Danielle," Delilah practically hissed. The venom in her voice was enough to worry Dylan. Had she found something incriminating? Had Dylan upset her? What had happened? What had she done?

"What?" Was all that came out, despite her rapidly spinning thoughts. Delilah's eyes narrowed, a bitter frown on her lips.

"I'm going to wait until Aurelie confronts you because it's something she needs to do, but don't think for a minute that you're off the hook." Dylan swallowed. So it was Aurelie who had found something incriminating? Or had she found out who she was? The anticipation was killing her, but she remained silent and tried to keep her expression neutral. She had nothing to hide, she told herself. If she kept that mentality then her face would show that, even if it weren't really the case.

Delilah stood, brown orbs ablaze with an anger that made Dylan melt. Delilah was certainly beautiful—no, gorgeous—when she was angry.

Not now, you useless lesbian, she hissed at herself. Still, the thought did remain, though she pushed it to the side to deal with later.

"We all saw it. Me and Luke and Henry and Aurelie. We were all there, and we know the truth now, alright? So when Aurelie does confront you, don't bother denying it." With that, Delilah headed towards the bathroom, off to do whatever the hell it was she did in there. Dylan sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. Perhaps...perhaps she could soften the blow if she...worked something out with her. She wasn't sure what it was they thought they knew, but it could've been anything from her recklessness with her body to her illegal activities. Perhaps they saw her smoking?

Yes, that had to be it. Smoking.

Dylan took in a sharp breath, before finally knocking in the bathroom door. "Delilah?"

"What?" Snapped the girl on the other side of the door.

"Come out. We need to talk about this." There was a muffled movement from the other side, the sounds of her many products being shuffled around. Delilah opened the door, face mask on and hair up in a knot of curly chaos. Cute, was Dylan's immediate thought. Not the time, she reminded herself.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You don't talk about things, Danielle. And you sure as hell don't with me." The sharp pain in her voice was noticeable. Dylan bit the inside of her cheek, enough that it bled, a reminder that she was such an asshole.

"Listen, I...it's a bad habit, I know. But I'm working on it. A-and I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal, and I don't do it around you guys because of the secondhand stuff and because I can't imagine you want me to, but I'm working on quitting, okay?" Delilah's face twisted in tight confusion.

"I...what? What are you talking about?"

"Was the...smoking not what you saw?" Delilah's jaw dropped.