Chapter Eleven

C H A P T E R E L E V E N
_________________________
A U R E L I E

Zach hadn't spoken with her for two days, and while Aurelie did appreciate the space, she was also very upset. She'd always feared the worst when it came to coming out to him, had always been worried he'd hate her or scream and yell, or, worst of all, he might've told everyone. Thankfully none of that had happened, at least not yet, but she was worried he'd do something. After all, it wasn't like Zach not to talk to her.

Aurelie tried to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach as she sat with Danielle in the library. With the absence of Zach taking up her morning breaks, Aurelie had taken to studying with her quieter classmate before their next classes, and while Danielle claimed she didn't appreciate the company, she never really protested. Aurelie had decided that her cold and somewhat cruel behavior was really a defense mechanism, but merely thinking about what she might need to defend herself from...it terrified her.

Needless to say, she had a lot on her mind, enough to worry about that she hadn't noticed she'd been staring at Danielle until she made eye contact with her.

Danielle's eyes narrowed. "What?" She snapped. Aurelie's cheeks burned and her gaze dropped.

"S-sorry..." she mumbled, not bothering to explain. Danielle was quiet for a moment, before letting out a tired sigh.

"Shit," she griped, cursing under her breath. "Damn it. Fine. Why're you all pouty? What's wrong? You're not yourself and it's...unnerving." She feigned a shiver in disgust, earning a small chuckle from her classmate.

"It's fine...I know you don't actually care, and I'm sure you've got your own stuff to deal with," Aurelie replied, rubbing the back of her neck. Danielle sighed.

"Yeah, I do, but it's not like I can do that with you moping right next to me. Just...tell me what's wrong, okay?" Aurelie smiler once more, this time more sincere.

"Well...I..." she swallowed. "So you're...gay."

"Um, yes? What does that have to do with anything?" Aurelie sighed, avoiding the other girl's gaze.

"Well I...I think...I might like girls...too. And I...I told Zach, and...and he hasn't spoke to me since I told him." Danielle hummed, leaning back in her chair for a moment, staring at the ceiling. Aurelie found it rather out of character. In a mere instant, Danielle transformed, from a cold, firm, serious young woman to somewhat relaxed, which was more than Aurelie had seen before.

"So?"

"So what?"

"Well, why do you care? Why're you friend with him anyways?" She asked. "I mean, he's kind of...egotistical, wouldn't you say?" Aurelie shook her head.

"No, he's really sweet when you get to know him, honestly. I just...I'm not sure what to do. But I'm also worried that he might hate me now, and if he does that...I mean, what if he tells people? I'm not ready for that," she explained. Danielle snorted.

"Jeez, I never took you for the anxious type. If that's the case, than just deny it."

"I'm not going to do that!" Aurelie declared. "I'm not ashamed of it! Not like—" she stopped herself. Danielle's eyes narrowed.