Chapter Fifteen

C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
_________________________
A U R E L I E

Aurelie hadn't slept very well. She'd been up almost the entire night, really, mulling over what she would say to Danielle when she saw her. What she would do. And what about Zach? She certainly didn't have any feelings for him, but with everything he'd said and done...and now that kiss...

She wasn't sure what to do anymore.

Ignoring her desire to return to bed, Aurelie stumbled her way into her first period, rubbing at her tired eyes in an attempt to wake herself up, or at the very least, focus her vision. She wasn't used to pulling all-nighters or even staying up past midnight, so the experience was absolutely dreadful.

She made her way to her seat near the back and practically collapsed into it, tossing her stuff down lazily on her desk. It was then it occurred to her no one else, not even their teacher, was in the classroom. She grimaced and checked the time on her phone. 8:00 am. She still had about a half hour before classes started. What was she thinking?

With a sigh, she pulled out her phone. Delilah, according to herself, was somewhat of an early riser, so she was most likely already up and about.

Aurelie: Hey. Is Danielle there? She tapped her fingers quickly on her desk, hoping for a quick response. Luckily, Delilah was somewhat of a texting addict, and replied instantly.

Delilah: She left around seven this morning. She mentioned something about heading to the music hall.
Delilah: But before you go look for her, there's something you should know.

Aurelie swallowed, waiting silently in anticipation as the dots appeared on her phone. Whatever it was she was sending, Delilah must've been writing a lot.

Delilah: She kind of broke down last night. Apparently she smokes to relieve stress. She told me her parents abandoned her and was forced to come here. Uncle's in jail and whatnot. I don't think she's in her right mind. I'm hoping that maybe she was just kissing Zach to cope?

Aurelie: I can't imagine that, but thank you for telling me. I'll go talk to her now.

Delilah: Before you do
Delilah: She might've lied to me. She might be cooped up in some corner chain smoking. Worst case scenario, of course.

Aurelie: Right.
Aurelie: Thanks. I'll talk to you later.

With that, she turned off her phone, stuffed her things back into her bag, and rolled her shoulders. If Danielle knew what was good for her, she wouldn't be smoking.

Making her way out of the classroom, Aurelie slipped quietly through the halls. Only now did it occur to her how empty they were, and that she really should have realized she was the only one around. She sighed and shook her head, before continuing her trek to the music hall.

Though it was on the other side of the school, she walked quickly, and it took what felt like no time at all before she reached the hall. She frowned, looking around for Danielle.

Come to think of it, why would she be here? Aurelie thought. She couldn't imagine her playing any instruments, nor singing. She was so quiet and reserved, and seemed very left-brained. Of course that wasn't a bad thing, and even if that weren't the case, and Danielle did possess some musical talent, she couldn't imagine her sharing it with anyone, least of all the very classmates that bullied and taunted her. Aurelie had seen Danielle's less than kind eyes whenever one particular bully threw something at their lunch table, knocked over her stuff, or stole something from her. She was certain it upset her more than she let on, and with what Delilah said, she was certain Danielle was holding in some strong feelings of sadness, maybe even resentment.