Chapter Nineteen

C H A P T E R   N I N E T E E N
_________________________
L U K E

Luke's stomach shifted as he heard the door open. He quickly turned to the door, as did the rest of his company, and watched Aurelie walk through the door. He gave her a weak smile as she passed and took the remaining seat beside him.

"What's going on?" She whispered, glancing to Luke. He frowned and shook his head.

"We don't know." He glanced quickly to Henry and Delilah, suddenly aware of a particular absence in their group. "Maybe it's about Danielle?"

"Okay, there's something I should tell you," Delilah said quickly, shaking her head. "This morning, Danielle was kinda hurt, but I didn't think much of it because she always is. But then she and Z—"

"Good morning, everyone," a gruff, brash voice cut in. Luke flinched at the suddenness of the interruption, turning from Delilah towards the owner of the voice. He swallowed nervously. Headmaster Damocles.

The Headmaster was an intimidating, older man, standing around six feet with a strong, sturdy build and cold eyes. Most students went through four full years of school without ever meeting the man, as he only ever bothered speaking with the troubled students. What did that mean for Luke? His friends? We're they troubled students? Or was he right in his assumption about Danielle? Or perhaps Darren?

"H-Headmaster Damocles!" Henry greeted quickly, standing and extending a hand. Luke watched Aurelie anxiously follow suit. If he weren't so nervous, he would've laughed, the pair clearly displaying their desires to excel as well as them obviously both being teachers' pets. The Headmaster merely ignored them, taking a seat as his desk with a huff. Luke swallowed, realizing he was seated directly in front of the man. Even seated, he towered over Luke, who hunched in an attempt to hide inside himself.

"S-sir," he mumbled anxiously. The Headmaster glanced at him quickly, before glancing to Delilah.

"Miss. Sanchez, you're Miss. Brookes roommate, correct?" Delilah's brow knit together.

"You mean Blake, right? That's Danielle's name." The Headmaster's eyes widened, a sudden surprise overtaking his stony expression. He quickly hid it, but Luke saw the shock flash across his face all the same.

"Ah, yes. Of course, Miss...Blake. As I'm sure you've already guessed, you all spend a...significant amount of time with Danielle, correct?" Luke managed a nod.

"Wait! Headmaster Damocles, earlier this morning when I came to talk to you about her you said—" Aurelie was quickly cut off by the Headmaster, who raised his hand to silence her.

"I'm well aware of what I said, Miss. Richards, but this is something entirely different from what we discussed." Headmaster Damocles' gaze hardened. "Miss. Blake asked me to tell you in person. She, as well as Darren Browne, are no longer attending Albright Academy."

Luke felt his jaw drop.

"What?" Aurelie and Delilah shot up as the three of them cried in unison. The girls glanced to him in equal surprise, his cheeks growing hot.

"Wait, Darren to? What does he have to do with this?" Aurelie audibly swallowed.

"I-Uh—" she glanced to the Headmaster, who shook his head. She ignored it, eyes narrowing. "He's her brother."