Chapter Thirty Five

Kayla's POV:

After the branding was done we were dragged back to our cells and left alone. They threw in a water bottle which I greedily drank. The biting hunger wouldn't go away but at least the thirst would. I laid on my back and just stared up at the ceiling.

Is today still Monday? I can't tell the time from in here.

"Relax. You're cute. Yeah you're a bit old but you have to get sold. Even Maya wouldn't let you die here" Shadow said, sliding down beside me. I could hear the doubt in her voice.

"They much prefer innocent 18 year olds. Not someone who's been here for years" I snapped back. Me and Shadow argued for a while until the door opened again. She retreated over to the back corner and I sat up. A guard stood there, along with Irene and an old couple. Irene was beaming.

"This is Kayla. Pure black hair, not dyed. Brown eyes. About 5'6." She said as she led them into the cell. I cautiously stood up.

What was happening?

"She's a pretty little thing. Hello. We're collectors." The old lady said first. She had fair skin for someone her age, snowy white hair and blue eyes. The old man looked similar, but his eyes were brown and his hair was still brown in some places. He smiled and shuffled closer.

"We've got 5 so far. You'd be 6. We take very good care of our pets" He said. I smiled at Irene and my heart fluttered.

They like me. I could get sold. They like me!

Suddenly Irene looked down at the iPad I didn't even notice she was carrying and her smile disappeared. When she looked up again I saw her eyes were full of remorse. She cleared her throat.

"Mr and Mrs Bryant. This pet is..damaged. Her previous owner punished her before her arrival here. There are about 30 everywhere. I closed only 2 when I looked her over" She said. My heart dropped. Shadow flinched.

"Oh? Well we just can't have that." Mr Bryant said. I gave Mrs Bryant a pleasing look to convince her husband.

"Honey it won't matter. She's still young. It's clear they don't bother her and most are covered by clothing!" She protested. He shook his head violently.

"Nope. It's damaged. There's probably one that looks like her around here or at a pet shop. Come on Nancy." He grabbed her shoulders and steered her out of the room. Irene gave me one last remorseful look then left. The door was closed again. I flung myself into my makeshift bed and buried my face into a pillow.

I'm going to die here! What did I do to deserve this.

I waited, hoping someone would come back. I didn't know what time it was. I heard people walk by but nobody came near my room. I was alone again. I gave up and curled up into my blankets, blocking out the world.

What did I do to deserve this...

(Time Skip)

Maya's POV:

"There. All done. Proceed" I said to the man currently branding my new pet. She tried acting calm but the trembling was really starting to make me angry. She did it all the time. He pressed the hot metal to one of the points I instructed him to put my brand. I got up and walked to the very front of the store, bored out of my mind.

A couple had wanted Kayla. Put in a lot of money just because she had black hair. I've heard of them before but never knew they went for rejects. When I heard the news I immediately emailed and forced them to make her seem unfit to be a pet. Only 6 more days and she'd be gone for good and I could get back to my life.

Per the law even as the future CEO I couldn't outright kill her. It would count as murder and I'd be spending time in a jail cell. If I wanted her gone I shipped her away and they'd take care of it via lethal injection, only after a week. It was supposed to give time for the pet to get a new owner, minimizing the cost for their stay and potential death.

Stupid law.

"Miss Redd?" I turned around. Summer stood shakily up from the chair, biting her lip to keep herself from crying. I rolled my eyes and walked over, letting her lean on me.

"Yeah. Thanks. I know how to take care of it." I said, leading the way out of the shop. Once we got outside I let her go and she was forced to stand. I pulled her leash out of my bag and put it on the purple collar I gave her.

"Come on. We're going to a restaurant" I said. She looked surprised, but followed me down the street none the less. The stores were all on a boardwalk situated by a beach. Today it was fairly warm.

"Yes Mistress" She said from behind me. I smirked and kept walking. We arrived at a Seafood restaurant farther down the boardwalk. The hostess, a woman with brown hair, smiled as we walked in.

"Table for One plus Pet?" She said, grabbing one menu. I glanced at Summer, then shook my head.

"Table for two" I said, daring her to say something. She paused for a second and her eyes briefly flicked to Summer before she answered again.

"Uh. Apologies. Table for two. Right this way" She said. I dropped Summer's leash and followed the hostess to a table next to a large bay window overlooking the ocean. Perfect view for someone who liked star gazing while eating.

I'm not that someone.

The woman put our menus on the table and left. I sat down and gestured for Summer to do the same. She looked uncomfortable and nervous yet again. I sighed.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She glanced at another table as an answer. A woman was sitting there eating shrimp while her pet knelt beside her seat, staring off into space and glancing over at his owner every few minutes.

"Uh...I'm not supposed to..sit on things. Mistress" She explained. I had to stop myself from giggling like a schoolgirl.

"Well you can sit here today. Sit. Now" I ordered. She sat immediately. With that solved I opened my menu and began browsing for something to get. Shrimp Alfredo was what I saw first so that's what I picked. I wasn't really hungry. I've been hearing her stomach growl all day. I looked over at her and realized she hadn't touched her menu.

"Wow. Your Previous Owners didn't like you making some decisions huh?" I said.

"No Mistress" She answered. I nodded.

"Well with me. You make some. Can't do everything for you. Pick what you want to eat before the waiter comes." I said. She hesitated, then picked up the menu and opened it. A few minutes went by and she was still looking. I dug my nails into my leg to keep from getting pissed off and reached over, grabbing the menu out of her hand. She flinched as I slammed it back onto the table.

"I'm getting you what I'm getting. Happy? I'll get you Lemonade." I snapped, struggling to keep my voice calm. She lit up at the mention of Lemonade so I guess it was something she didn't get a lot of. Right on time. The waiter appeared.

"Hello. I'm Justin and I'll be taking your order today" He said, flipping open the notebook. I listed off our order and he hurried to write everything down.

"Alright. I'll be right back with your drinks and I'll give your order to the chef" He said, leaving. I nodded and turned back to Summer.

"So tell me. about your Previous Owners" I said, leaning back.

———————————————————————————
Happy Friday y'all