Chapter 3 - The Sense of Talking to a Stranger

Today is Friday, a week just passed - as normal as it is - after Barb's party, we aren't yet seeing each other after that. Her parents decided to take a vacation in Hawaii but she send me some pictures and messages through email.

I'm currently at the office- still alone, still early- staring blankly, my attention focused on a painting, a beautiful blue ocean, hanging on the wall. Within the room's silence, last week flashed back on me, at Barb's party. That night was like the longest night I ever had - I supposed to have the usual things I always do in places like that. I couldn't make my normal things, not much because of Barb's unstoppable stories of her journey in Italy or Rob and Nat's fight about her drinking a lot.

I might be so stupid admitting that I did lie to myself that entire night, I'm drowning the whole time by those ocean-blue eyes. Stupid right? I supposed to feel so frightened by those yet I'm not.

That night, I just tried to ignore it - the best I could - , thinking he's really just nothing to do and decided to keep his eyes on somewhere without noticing he was looking at someone. Bad for me, I'm the victim - Barb and Rob even insisted that he's really staring at me. I even asked Barb to stop looking at him or telling some facts about him - I couldn't even remember what things she'd said, I'm totally absentminded, wanting to ignore everything about him.

I'm just being reasonable, giving the thought of the possibilities that he's really not in his mood that day, especially the people's attention are totally on him. It's really impossible, I really didn't know him at all and the same for him. Maybe I just misunderstood him, letting those words of Rob and Barb to bother me. They keep insisting that Tall-Scotch-Handsome-Guy was really all eyes on me the entire time.

My unexplained thoughts faded when Mrs. Jung called me on her office. I didn't even realized she just got in.

"Good morning Mrs. Jung." I greeted formally. She pointed the seat at the front of her desk .She looks so worried as I sitted.

"Liz, are you willing to work at Seattle?" Mrs. Jung asked.

I was spaced out with those words. I don't really know if I got it right. I clenched my hand into a fist to keep myself focused. I supposed to reply yet she maybe noticed my disbelief.

"It was in a hurry - I think." She sighed "The director explained that since our branch here wasn't that productive and the company was cutting some funds, they decided to merge our office to Seattle's."

Is she now convincing me to work with her at Seattle? I couldn't imagine this will come, I'm not yet ready. This will be a very big step for me. Not on my plans too. Leaving Beauworth was not a good idea for me.

I could stay with my dad at his Seattle's apartment - but he's not mostly staying there so it will be like my own apartment - and this will be a good news for him but I'm not ready. I spend my some nights there sometimes when Kate and mom wasn't home, it was like twice and I'd never toured that big city -just dad's apartment- I'm not into staying there for even a year.

"Sorry Mrs. Jung, I really can't. I'm really sorry." I replied, trying to convey that I am fine if she's firing me.

"Are you sure Liz?" she said on a more convincing tone.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Jung." I couldn't look at her. "I really can't."

"I'm so sorry Liz." She said, sounding so sincere "So I guess this will be the last day for us. I'm really sorry." She stands, offering her hand for me. "Thank you."

"Thank you." As I stood and reached her.

"Please submit a resignation letter by this day so the company could send you your last pay check."