Chapter 8 - The Sense of Understanding

I don't know if I really decided the right thing but now, I feel we were utterly safe. I glanced at Barb as I saw her comfortably sleeping at the back, I sighed.

I flickered my eyes in his face, his blue eyes was staring straight ahead as I noticed his eyebrows still knitted and his grip on his wheel was so tight.

I haven't seen him for almost a week, but now he's here.

He keeps breathing hardly as he turned the heater high.

I can't even look at him again. I really feel he's angry, so I gazed outside the window

Suddenly he hit his hand on the wheel, I gulped in shocked.

"Say something....please," he said abruptly and he exhaled sharply.

I gulped as I glanced at the speedometer read a hundred and five miles an hour.

"Wear your seatbelt," I said the first thing that popped on my head.

I heard him snickered as he turned the wheel and the car stopped.

I sighed in relief.

Unbelievable, his mood swings are really confusing. I guess Mr. Multiple-personality-disordered-giant-who-was-bored-and-wants-to annoy-me is really back.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

I saw him shutting his eyes like he's in pain and keeps pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger. Maybe he hurt his hand by punching the guy before.

"You are asking me that? seriously?" his voice was rough. He's still not looking at me.

I glanced back again to Barb, she's still asleep. Thanks God there's a light pole so I could see her because the car was so dark.

"Um, yeah... I guess" I mumbled, puzzled on his question as I sit back properly. I could barely see his face - I'm not sure if his still mad or what.

"You're kidding me," he looked down at me as he pushed something and the light appeared inside the car. Then he gently grabbed my arm, "Look."

I winced as I saw my upper arm with a big bruise.

Stupid, street pole that I'd bumped in.

"I'm fine," I looked away as I pulled away and covered it with my hands. I tried not to feel the pain but I can't help to bit my lips.

"Stay here," he said and he got out of the car, slamming the door.

Shoot. I shouldn't removed that long sleeves.

After minutes, I checked Barb again - I could see her clearly now, she was really in a good state.

The door opened and Ethan was back with a plastic bag on his hand. I looked at him as he pulled out an ice pack and he wrapped it with his handkerchief.

"Put this," he commanded as he handed it to me.

He's not looking at me evem I stared on him. He seems still so mad as he clenched his jaws. I suddenly felt guilt without knowing what I did wrong.

We sat silently as I applied the cold ice pack on my bruised arm. It's helping.

"Better?" finally he spoke.

I nodded as I glanced outside. I heard Ethan's deep sigh and he leaned his head back against the seat and didn't say anything again.

"Umm....mm... " I break the silence.

He shifted on me but still on his position.

"Th..thank you and we're sorry to bother you," I muttered, "Didn't you hurt your hand?"