Chapter 4 - The Sense of Affection

I got home. I walked from the coffee shop to our home. It wasn't that far and it wasn't so difficult for me even the sidewalk was wet since there are few cars in the street and our town wasn't like the other with too many people walking or the street was crowded. Beauworth have simple environment - the number of trees are much more than the number of the population or houses, you won't be tripped on your way except if you are as clumsy or dumb as me.

I unzipped my bag to get my key so I could open the door. I flicked the switch to turn on the lights on the porch and in the living room.

"Woowww..." I jumped in surprised as Marley came to me, wiggling his tail, "Thank you," I patted him on his shiny golden hair as he gave me my slippers - but honestly I don't wear slippers at home, I prefer barefoot.

Kate and mom wasn't home yet. I walked to the kitchen and checked our freezer and found a whole chicken.

I decided to cook some buttered chicken. I chopped the chicken and heated the pan on the stove, put some ingredients then leave for a while. I run upstairs and change for some clothes - a loose comfy shirt and pajamas, then bounced back to the kitchen.

Marley runs towards the door and barked loudly, I heard the sound of Kate's car.

I rushed open the door and saw her with mom. I went outside and open the passenger seat for mom.

"You're here already," Mom held my arms as we guided each other to go inside.

"That's odd," Kate jokes as she closed the car's door "What did you cook?" she runs to go inside and sniffs the smell coming from the kitchen "Buttered chicken.... I miss that."

Since I haven't always got home early because of my work in J.K for almost two years, we always have some little dinner like we ate at Johnny's -the nearest restaurants here - or in Grandma's house. There are no fast food chains here in Beauworth, not like in some towns. Kate can cook as well but some changes in her shift makes it difficult while mom sometimes do yet she prefer light dinner for her diet which Kate and I hate.

"Did your dad called?" mom asked as she took one step in the stairs.

"Not yet," I said.

"Okay, I'll call him," Kate reaches on the telephone and dialed dad's phone number.

The phone keeps ringing as Kate dialed for the third time, there's no one answering. Suddenly we heard a roaring truck engine outside.

"It's Dad," Kate giggles as she hurriedly ran outside.

I looked at mom and smile at her. She breathed deeply like it was her prom night and her date just came.

"Let's go," I grabbed mom's arms and we went outside.

An old man popped out on a Chevy white truck - the same truck he always had. Kate jumps on him and hugged her tightly. Dad removed Kate's arms and cupped her face.

"How's my beautiful angel?" he said as he kissed Kate's forehead. I laughed as Kate was so happy to hear dad's nickname for her.

"Go," mom loosen my arms so I could go to my father.

Dad smiles as I walked towards him, but accidentally I slipped,

"Ooops," and dad catches me in my arm before my head falls on the wet ground, "My Clumsy Lizzy."

"Hmmm," I laughed, hearing that nickname again. I stood up and he hugged me, not like the way Kate hugs him though - just a one armed hug. I looked to his face and noticed some changes, his hair is much of gray now, much wrinkles on his eyes and forehead, "You have gray hair now and thicker lenses on your eyeglasses," I laughed.