14: Starry Eyes and Wide Grins

-Some thorns are just meant to pierce-

Awkwardly shifting in my seat, I subtly peered at Demir from under my eyelashes and quickly turned away once his gaze met mine. After our small talk, the air had turned awkward and tense, again. I was still hurting and feeling vulnerable because of his immense mood swings. 

Randomly pointing to a dish on the menu, I had saved myself from being embarrassed in front of Demir, but I was still feeling so self-conscious. The crowd around us consisted of extremely elite people. Diamonds were shimmering in the air, formal and dignified laughs echoing from corners. The atmosphere was so sophisticated that a single rude dragging of silver cutlery was frowned upon.

 I gulped out of sheer awkwardness. 

Thinking of ways to break the awkward silence hanging in the air while trying to quell my social anxiety, I kept sneakily staring at Demir and frowned at the sight of him scrolling on his phone again. 

He was bored. 

I felt like our new start was going nowhere. He clearly felt like caring for me out of gratitude, and I just was too obsessed with the idea of making him like me. Yet, there was that hope again. Just hearing that Demir wanted to give us a chance had made me feel like we were a possible fantasy...a destined fairytale. 

It made me feel like my 'resolve' at the hospital was only because I was immensely affected by my husband...his mood, everything; him not wanting me had me annoyed, hurt enough to give up, but him hinting towards trying for our happy ending had fumed my emotions, again. 

I guess I was never going to be able to give up on us. 

Maybe this intensity was because I believed that I could make Demir give over his ex...that what we have was extraordinary. The intense heartbeat from my side assured me that our bond could be real; we were meant to be. 

Feeling a random sway of cold wind drag against my face, I chewed on my thumbnails and tilted my head, subtly stealing a gaze in the direction of Demir. My husband was a spoiled rich man. He seemed so comfortable and completely part of an atmosphere that had my heart beating with self-consciousness. 

While my insecurities were at large, Demir seemed to be so confident and secure with himself, like he was sure that this crowd adored them. Of course, they did. 

My husband was the epitome of a stereotypical young billionaire born with a silver spoon. 

He was like a pictured prince charming for many...someone gained by immense wishing and luck. I wanted that luck. Being adored and cherished by Demir was like a dream. I had always been cynical about Mr Rights and 'the ones' until I met him. 

I still remember the day Madam Geena invited me to meet him. Meeting him, despite noticing his clear indifference towards me, had just struck a chord. It was like my loneliness had finally beaten someone in a long time. The visible spark...the visible attachment had me fluttering with purity...there was just him and me, and no worries enough to pull me out of this delusion. 

I was immediately obsessed. 

Albeit Madam Geena had tried playing matchmaker with me before, her grandson truly felt like the one for me. Even on our wedding day, I couldn't resist peering at my husband from behind the net face-veil and feeling astonished by my luck. A girl, like me, would never even have been able to meet Demir if it wasn't for destiny. I had to make the sparks work for us. 

"Would you like to see the gardens?" Demir now snapped me out of my thoughts, as I jolted and quickly gazed up at him staring expectantly at me. My drooped shoulders straightened up, immediately.