17. Bring It On Home To Me

"I can't believe it!" Freya murmured to a confused Peter as they hid away in the shadows of the trees. She understood just how cautious Peter was of the entire situation. This man came barreling into their lives, saving them from being obliterated and wanted to start playing the role of a father figure.

There was a whirlwind of emotions flying through his head and he didn't quite know how to process it. He wanted that figure in his life since his mother died, but if he had then he would have never met Freya and lived a wonderful life with her as his light. But was this man being honest? Was he playing on the weaknesses that he knew Peter had and manipulating them to his advantage?

He understood the impact this would have on Freya too. She thought she had lost her father tragically at such a young age; only to later find out he is alive but has no way of finding him. Getting back to Asguard would be challenging, and she wasn't ready to face him just yet. She left like she would disappoint him greatly and Peter couldn't understand why. She was an amazing woman and anyone would be proud to have her as their daughter.

"I don't know..." Peter sighed, hugging Freya close to him and resting his head atop her hair. Feeling her calming heartbeat against him as he questioned his next move.

"We're stuck here for the night, you can always hear him out and once we've fixed the Milano, you can decide where to go from there. You'll always regret never giving him that chance, but you can always walk away after having given him that moment," Freya mused as she lent up to place a small kiss on Peter's stubble jaw. His eyes closing as he weighed up his options, "There's no harm in joining him for the night around the fire," she smiled before taking his hand and walking him towards the lightly glowing fire.

The rest of the group surround the heat source and eating at the remains of their meal. Everyone was sceptical to hear just what this man was up to. Freya taking a seat beside Peter and settling under his arm as he pulled her into his side. waiting to see just what this man had to say for himself.

"I hired Yondu to pick you up when your mother passed away," Ego began. Freya giving Peter's hand a reassuring squeeze when the passing of his mother was mentioned. Peter sending a small smile in thanks, "But instead of returning you, Yondu kept you. I have no clue as to why."

"Well, I'll tell you why. Because I was a skinny little kid who could squeeze into place adults couldn't. It made it easier for thievin'." Peter tried to smile. But Freya could see the doubt eating away at him. This man had been missing for so long, it was impossible for Peter to welcome him with open arms and forget about all those years of longing.

"Well, I've been trying to track you down ever since."

I nearly choked on my spit when Drax opened his mouth, "I thought Yondu was your father,"

"What? We've been together this whole time... and you thought Yondu was my actual blood relative?" Peters eyes nearly popped out of hid head,

"You look exactly alike,"

"One's blue!" Rocket exclaimed. Freya burst out laughing as she used her magic to turn Peter's skin a shade of blueberry blue. One of her favourite fruit that she'd managed to get her hands-on during her years of trading. The small berries were sweet but sour as she would munch on them.

"Sure look like him now, cupcake," She giggled, giving a quick kiss to Peter's cheek, her husband playfully pushing her away before she changed his appearance back to his beautiful self.

"He ain't my father! Yondu was the guy who abducted me, kicked the crap out of me and Freya so we could learn how to fight, and kept us in terror by threating to eat us!" Yet he was the only father figure Peter will ever have. Through all the horror, Yondu would still protect the two youngins from the worse of the ravagers on his ships.

"Eat you?"

"It was a joke," Freya smirked as she elbowed her husband. Peter staring at her as if she had grown another head. "Was not!"

"Oh, that son of a bitch,"

"How'd you locate us?" Gamora asked. The assassin not buying this act at all that he had mysteriously appeared from the silence of the universe for his claim to fame. It just didn't make sense, as much as Freya would love this man to be the heavenly man Peter had dreamed of his entire life.

"Well, even where I reside, out past the edge of what's known... we've heard tell about the man they call Star-Lord. What say we head out there right now? Your associates are welcome. Even that triangle-faced monkey there. I promise you... it's unlike any other place you've ever seen. And there... I can explain your very special heritage. Finally, get to be... the father I've always wanted to be. Excuse me. I've gotta take a whiz." His eagerness to get them to his home was, made Freya evermore suspicious. Her emerald eyes meeting with Gamoras just as guarded ones. Neither of them believing him as he wanders off into the woods.

"I'm not buying it," Peter breathes. His emotions everywhere at his dilemma. He didn't want to open himself up to only but hurt. But to let this opportunity slide, if he were telling the truth, he'd never forgive himself.

"Let's go for a walk," Gamor offers, Freya sending her a grateful look. The beautiful assassin often had a way with words that the Asgardian never could. Freya kissing Peters hand as he stood and moved off with his companion.

Everyone then noticed the socially awkward woman adorned in green and black. Freya admiring how well the woman pulled off the colour scheme. A small pang of pain twinging at thought of her own father.

"What are you doing?"

"Smiling," She beamed, "I hear it is the thing to do to make people like you," Her accent something that intrigued the Asgardian. It was unusual and something fresh to listen to; rather than the heavy drones of her current, almost depressing, companions.

"Not if you do it like that," Drax grumbled,

"Drax! Be nice!" Freya scolded. It wasn't like her stick up for someone, but the gullible woman sat before her in the shadows of the fire seemed so isolated from society that she didn't even know how to socialise. In itself, it was a sign as to how isolated Ego had made the beautiful woman.

"Oh... I was raised alone on Ego's planet. I do not understand the intricacies of social interaction. Can I pet your puppy? It is adorable." Her smile fresh and a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, Freya was too slow to warn the girl that Rocket hated physical contact, and so her hand nearly being bitten off was something that seemed to humour Drax immensely. So much so that the frighted girl thought it was acceptable to laugh along too.

"What was your name again?" Freya asked her gently, standing from her side of the fire as she caught the movement of Ego returning in the corner of her eye, "Mantis," she smiled awkwardly.

"Well, Mantis, how about you and I get to know each other," If the humongous smile already on the woman's face could get any bigger, Matis managed it as she excitedly grabbed Freya's hand and they wandered to find somewhere to sit. Freya knew how hard it was in this world, and she wasn't going to stand by and let the idiots she roamed the universe with taint the light Mantis had to offer.

***********************************************

A/N:

Okay, my writing style has changed slightly over the [ast few months and it wasn't until after I had written chapter16-20 that I realised it. And I CBA to go through and change it, sorry guys.

I do love Guardians, but I get bored in GotG 2. I'm sorry, which is why I'm finding it so hard to write this. I know exactly where I want to go with this but I'm too impatient to write to get there *cue dramatic eye roll*