Chapter 20

Two months later

"What are your plans for tonight man?" Jay asks Antonio. He shrugs as he finishes off another day at the district.

"Probably Molly's – Kate's working late"

"Yeah, I'm joining you" Jay pats my shoulder and sits down at his desk to finish up.

Commander Crowley walks in and immediately walks over to me. "Detective, meet me in Voight's office"

I look at Jay and he shrugs. I walk into Voight's office.

"I don't know how to tell you this; I wish I never had to"

"What?" I ask; my wife's always on my case to be more polite but I can't.

"Andreas Diaz, better known as Pulpo-"

"What about him?" I growled, getting angry. I'm always angry when I hear that name.

Crowley sighs and looks at me, Hank's sitting up, replacing his earlier moves of lounging.

"He escaped this morning, we just found out."

I get cold and furious. The first thing I get my hands on – a chair – gets thrown across the room. Hank looks at me with worry and Crowley flinches.

"How the hell does that son of a bitch get out and you don't notice it?"

"We already have a hearing with the officers that were supposed to look over him. I'm so sorry Antonio"

"If he comes anywhere near my wife, it will be on you" I growl out and she nods, clenching her jaw. "I know. We'll keep Kate safe."

"I'll keep her safe" I say and storm out. Jay looks at me, "What's wrong?"

"Pulpo escaped" I manage to get out despite my anger.

He stands up, "We need to go to the hospital, right now."

I nod and Jay grabs his keys. He tells me he'll drive so I get into the passenger seat but before we could drive away, Hank knocks on the door.

He gets into the backseat and we drive off. I call Kate's phone but it goes straight to voicemail.

"That doesn't mean anything – she could be in surgery, or have a consult."

"I know" I struggle out.

We get out in the parking lot of Med and I run in immediately. The hospital is silent – there's almost nobody in there.

"Antonio – bodies" Jay says, we look at three bodies – two doctors, one security guard.

I grab my gun, as does Jay and Hank and Hank immediately calls for backup on his radio.

Soon SWAT; the rest of Intelligence; and a lot of police officers including Sergeant Platt and the command-staff are circling the hospital. Four helicopters are flying over the hospital.

**

This morning – 6 am – Chicago Med

Katelyn has just finished two consults – one with Will Halstead and one with Natalie Manning.

She's busy discharging a patient of hers when Will walks up to her. "I need your help"

"Hmm, shoot"

"It's personal"

"Okay" Kat grins, "Tell me"

"I uh, I'm planning on proposing to Natalie"

Kate squeals, "Ah that's so wonderful, that's exciting, when?"

"I don't know yet, soon, but shhh... you're the only who knows"