Chapter 16

I spent three nights in Las Vegas. I only had four beers and used two slot machines in the time that I was there, but I couldn't leave the city. It was gorgeous in its own bizarre way. It seemed that no one here ever slept, like they couldn't make time for sleeping and it only seemed fair. Each time I looked out of my hotel window people would be milling around, shopping, drinking, or just laughing under the neon lights. It was so incredible to see a place with so much life. I tried to let myself sleep and take four hours of my day to study, but it was hard to stay on such a strict schedule with so much to do around me.

So, if I worked as hard as I could for my four hours I would let myself have the rest of the day for anything I wanted. I saw shows with acrobats, wandered through museums about mobsters, fell in love with incredible food and spent one lazy day by the pool. Sometimes I would just walk up and down the street and watch people. There were ladies in glittering outfits that put my stripping wear to shame and magicians showing off their talents each time they got a chance. It seemed to a world away from Denver and so diverse in comparison to my bland life.

But I had tests coming up and didn't want to miss any more possible marks I could get for attendance so I began my journey home, though I wasn't particularly ready. I drove to Moab and stopped to fuel up. but seeing the scenery and watching excited tourists check their mountain bikes and lace up their hiking shoes was enough to make me stay. The world could wait, just for a little while longer.

I spent two nights there as well. I found a nice, locally owned hotel with a hot tub. So, I would start my days off with a solo hike on a well-traveled trail, come back and study, then soak the day off in the little hot tub. I felt like I would never leave.

But on my last day there I went on my usual solo hike and I wondered if it was even worth going home. It seemed impossible that I would just let this adventure pass me and go back into school like it hadn't even happened in the first place. Stripping and studying seemed so mundane in comparison but the guilt was also beginning to settle in. Maybe seeing the highlight of this hike would be enough to sate me. I doubted it, but hoped for the best.

Unfortunately, before I could reach the arch that was on the license plate a couple approached me.

"You should turn around, kiddo," the woman murmured, smiling at me the same way a grandmother would. It was warm and kind, making me miss my mom a little.

"Oh?" I peered around her shoulder, trying to see if there was an obvious obstruction nearby.

"There's reports of wolves in the area," her husband answered with a cock of his head.

"Really? Wolves here?" my tone was polite enough, despite the disbelief. I could understand a coyote or two roaming around, but wolves seemed more suited to the tundra and dense forests than this red desert.

"We were surprised too. But then we stumbled onto one. Absolutely huge creature. Damn thing must've weighted well over a hundred pounds. Lucky for us it didn't seem too interested, just kind of glanced at us and went on his way. But the ranger we met on the way back said there's a whole lot of them and they are moving towards the parking lot, almost like they are trying to get people off this hike."

"Oh, that's a shame," I whispered, my shoulders slumping with defeat.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to complete the hike the next time you come out."

I just shot them both a smile. I knew that there was a good chance I wouldn't be able to come out again, but that wasn't their problem or their fault. I just turned around, and hiked my way back to the parking lot, listening to the old couple chatter. They were sweet and interesting which made the blow a little easier to take, but brought the guilt of abandoning my family on strong.

When we reached the parking lot again I noticed that there were several ranger trucks parked, like there really was a crisis. I located the nearest man in green and approached him with a lazy smile. I didn't know why I found the whole situation to intriguing- maybe it was the underlying disappointment- but I refused to go home without more of an explanation. It was like I was drawn to the whole scenario.

"Hey there," I greeted, watching the ranger scribble down some notes in his book before murmuring something in his radio. His head was turned away from me the entire time, like he was trying to dissuade me from taking up his time.

"Hi," he whispered, still not paying any attention to me.

"I just bumped into a couple that said there are wolves on the trail and it's dangerous, is that true?"

"Yes ma'am," he replied with a drawl that didn't sound quite right. "How about I show you the maps of where they are so you can plan another hike?" he suggested.

"That would be so lovely if you could," I agreed, feeling a little better. Maybe my last day wouldn't be such a write off.

I followed him around to the other side of the truck, leading us to the edge of the parking lot that was slowly being emptied. He pulled open the passenger door and a map was laid out on the cloth seat. I didn't think anything was wrong or off until I felt his body press up against my back. My eyes widened in terror and it was then that I realized that he had taken me around the truck to keep me more hidden from the public eye. Just as I began to turn around, my lips parted to let out a scream, I felt my sweater sleeve being tugged upward. Then a pinch of pain. My eyes found a needle jutting out from my arm.

With my body half turned I was finally able to peer up at the man who had injected me. His face was vaguely familiar. I think Holly had called him Chad.

I wanted to scream. Or at least say something. I couldn't. my lips were parted and I was breathing, but I could feel my knees weakening. His arms supported me. His lips were near my ear.

I was terrified, but couldn't control my body.

"I'm sorry, princess."

****We hit three thousand! Woohoo! Here is update one of two!****