Chapter 69

****Hey everyone, this is the last chapter of SFTAK, however it ends in a cliffhanger leading into my next book (Hades) so if you enjoyed the book but don't wish to continue on I would recommend stopping here! It's been a slice and I appreciate all of your support and I hope you are all staying healthy and safe!****

"This better be good," I grumbled, one hand on my swollen belly. My eyes were still half shut despite the urgency that had been in Noah's voice. I didn't care that there was a royal emergency, all I was concerned with was how much energy it took to be pregnant. 

"It's worth your time," Noah assured. "Ajax just landed at the airport. I sent a messenger for him, but it will still be about fifteen minutes before they can get here." As he rambled his eyes moved over my form. "Are you alright, Queen Keiko?" The concern in his voice bounced off the empty halls in my mountain home.

"Fine. I'm just wondering why I thought it was a good idea to formally take over the royal duties while making another human being."

"You're one of the strongest women I know," Noah praised. 

He rubbed a single circle on my back in an act of brotherly affection. Since Ajax flew around so often, trying to resolve conflicts, I was left with his right hand man and we had become quite close. Having him here in moments like this was a great comfort. Even though I was wearing flannel pajamas and fuzzy slippers, looking like the exact opposite of a queen.

"So, should you tell me what's going on before I see it?" I wondered, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand as we neared the conference room. The walk here had perked me up a bit, but not much.

"I think it'll be a little shocking if I just throw you in there, but I'm not sure if a few words will really prepare you for what you're about to see. This is beyond anything I've ever seen." Noah scraped a hand over his face, looking almost as exhausted as I felt. I knew that he would've tried to contain the situation as best as he could and would only wake me if he absolutely couldn't wait for Ajax.

"Alright, I'm ready, lay it on me."

"I think you'll just need to use your royal tone, but we have a livid alpha on our hands. I don't know where he came from or how he got here, but he's looking for someone named Sampson. He said he needs to kill them," Noah explained. 

"This sounds like a normal werewolf dispute to me," I replied, absently running my hand over my stomach. For a human, this would certainly be a reason of concern. But, through my time with this community, I learned that alphas always wanted to settle their debts with blood. Damn egos always got in the way.

"It's beyond that. Remember how I told you about that unknown wolf that has been prowling around, killing random people with no motive?" Noah asked. I nodded. "I think this is him, Keiko. He just reeks of power and rage."

"What evidence do you have?" I pressed, feeling the queen in me wake up. Maybe this was worth waking up in the middle of the night after all.

"Well, he fits the physical description. He is a completely black wolf and outstandingly large. It's been a long time since I've seen a wolf that big. To be frank he's quite intimating."

"So we are going to arrest all the big, black wolves out there?"

"No. Witnesses also all said that his most distinctive feature was his eyes. Bright red, blood red. Some even said that they almost glow in the dark. I've never heard of any wolf having red eyes, Keiko. It's unnatural. Fuck, it's ungodly just to even think about."

At that I took a deep breath. So this wasn't some random wolf that they had become suspicious of.  Ajax had been hunting this murderer down for months. We couldn't understand why he was randomly killing all these seemingly good people. Wolves had tried to stop him, but they said it was like he was invincible. He was this hulking wolf who couldn't be stopped no matter how many times they bit and clawed. There could've been thousands opposing him, it didn't matter.