Chapter 45

"Why did you bring me here?" I demanded, feeling my chest clench. I knew the royals, I knew the guards at the palace and I knew that they had been ordered to keep me safe. This was new territory with new people. And if I knew Ajax, even just a bit, I was almost certain the surprises would not be stopping here. Right now, I wasn't sure I could take it in my already fragile state.

"Because, so far, nothing has been able to bring your wolf out. And these werewolves are about as in touch with their animal as they can get," Ajax announced with a bright smile. He swung off his horse with smoothness and didn't seem to notice my anxiety until he took hold of Zelda and glanced up at me. Then his expression fell. "What is it?"

"Is this safe for me? You said that I smelt like a rogue. Doesn't mean that they will attack me on sight? And what happens if this works and you bring out my... animal."

"Trust me, you'll be fine here," Ajax assured. "These wolves aren't ones to judge."

"Ajax, please, let's just go back home. I'm not ready for this."

There was a second when I thought my pleas would work. His brow knitted together and all traces of a smile left his face. He opened his mouth to say something but another voice over took his.

"Ajax, how are you?"

My gaze landed on a man I had seen a few times before. He had been in the palace a few times. I believe I had heard Adeline say his name was Ivan. Though his brown eyes seemed kind enough and he was fairly unassuming I still didn't make a single move to get off Zelda. I knew now that even the most normal people could be deadly.

"I'm good." Ajax shook his hand with more friendliness than formality. "I wanted to bring Keiko out and show her how a true pack operated. We are still struggling to get her wolf to make an appearance. I thought spending some time with a pack who embraced their background so much might be a good place to start."

"Well you know that this pack is just as much your home as it is mine and you are welcome any time," Ivan said.

While he was speaking Ajax pushed my foot out of the stirrup and I knew that he wanted me to dismount. I was tempted to be stubborn, mostly out of fear and uncertainty, but I wasn't prepared to go against him in front of anyone. And I certainly didn't want to start up an argument in front of someone like Ivan who was being so kind. So I kicked my other foot out and dismounted as best as I could. it was awkward and bumbling, but Ajax still smiled at me when I landed.

"I don't think you two have been formally introduced. Ivan, this is my mate, Keiko. Keiko this is my father's best friend, my royal advisor, and the best damn alpha."

Ivan blushed at the praise, clearly not used to it, but quickly moved forward to shake my hand. "I suppose it wasn't a formal introduction, but I was at the palace when you first woke up. You might remember."

"Right," I said with an anxious smile. The last thing I wanted to think about now was the day that I had been desperate to escape. Now, I felt foolish for letting Ajax bend me over the work bench when I could've been getting away. Right now, I'd rather be anywhere than here.

"Here, I'll take your horses. We always have a groom on hand since your mother's first arrival," Ivan said, laughing like it was some kind of inside joke. "Feel free to look around. Sara and I are just in the house if you need anything."

"Thank Ivan," Ajax replied, then slipped his hand into mine. And that little touch made me feel infinitely better. He was strong and reassuring while I was weak and wary.

He strolled me around for a while, letting me walk off any of the jittery feelings I had incurred. After a few minutes I forgot why he had brought me here. All I saw was smiling children chasing each other on the playground, fathers pushing strollers, and young couples walking hand in hand like we were. This all seemed so normal now. And once Ajax sensed that I calmed down he took me into a small bakery. We left with a fresh, soft pretzel and a buttery croissant.

"So Ivan seems nice," I began.

"Oh, he's great. When my dad had to leave to become king Ivan really stepped up. I mean, my dad did a lot. In the beginning it was a ton of work to just keep this pack afloat, but it wasn't easy to take over, even after things got better."

"Why did you dad have to leave?" I asked around a mouthful of pastry. We resumed our meandering around the little community.

"Well he couldn't run this pack and be king. When he first found out that he was mated to my mom he thought she would step down. But she refused and, even though it was hard, it led to really important changes in the werewolf community."

"That must've been very hard on your father if he worked so hard on this."

"Of course it was. And my grandmother had to give up her pack as well. Both my grandmother and my father were incredible alphas who fought for their packs immensely. But the kingdom is more important. The right choice was obvious."

I raised my eyebrows at that comment. "I doubt that your father felt that was at the time. It was probably very confusing for him to pick between something he built and something that was just handed to him, even if it held higher importance to others."

"It doesn't matter. It was his duty." Ajax's tone was flat and uninterested, like I was child who didn't know what they were talking about.

"Duty doesn't over power emotions. You can know that you need to do something and still resent every moment of it."

"None of that matters. The moon goddess decides who we will be with in accordance with what the werewolf community is needing at the time. She is the one who chooses mates, she is the one who brought you to me. We have no right to go against her judgement."

I felt my teeth grit, the croissant in my hand now forgotten. I knew where this conversation was going and I wasn't particularly fond of it. the idea that some mythical woman had decided my fate was not my version of a fairytale.

"What are you trying to say Ajax?"

"Nothing," he said, his eyes wide with innocence. It didn't fool me.

"I have a choice," I shot back, tossing my half eaten croissant in a garbage can.

"Keiko, you will be my queen, it's simply how this world works." His voice was even and cold. I could tell that he hated my rude tone and sharp words. A man like his was not used to being denied.

But a woman like me was not used to being steam rolled.

"I don't care," I snapped.

"Jesus Keiko, what do you want me to do? Get on my knees and beg?"

"Are you too noble to even ask me what I want?"

"Keiko, you are being unreasonable. We have given you plenty of time to adjust. I wanted to do this slowly, but it seems you aren't giving me much of an option. In a week we will be having a ball to introduce you to the werewolf community. By then you will need to be marked. And shortly after that you and I will accept the crown and move forward as the new king and queen."

"Ajax, no," I denied with a wild shake of my head. Did he not understand how much of a roller coaster he had put me on? Did he not care about how I felt?

"This isn't up for discussion. It's your duty."

"Is it too much to ask that you just treat me like a human?"

"You aren't a human. And it's time you started acting like it."

I wanted to scream at him. I wished I had my half eaten pastry so I could throw it at his head. I had been raised by a single mother. I had made my own way in this life. I was nothing if not an independent woman. He couldn't take that away from me.

But he had already taken me half way across the world against my will. He had dragged my best friend along as well. He and his family were going after my mother like she had committed a crime. He kept me locked in a room and no one said a damn thing about it. Maybe he could force me to do this against my own wishes.

Still, I wasn't going to make it easy for him.

With my tongue pressed against the inside of my cheek, I turned away from him.

"Where are you going?" he demanded.

"Away from you!"

*****Next update at 37 votes! Keiko is starting to stand up for herself and with a man like Ajax that's bound to cause turbulence*****