Chapter 28

We went into the burger joint together. And I was highly aware of the fact that my getaway pack remained in the car. Any chance of making a quick break for it were completely eliminated. But that thought drifted away when my mind could only focus on the way his hand rested in the middle of my back. Ajax was also so strong, so certain of himself. I suppose it came with being king, but it made me feel safe despite the fact that I still thought I should be trying to get away from him. and, if I was being fair, that feeling was getting weaker with each moment I spent with him.

At first people stared at me when we moved into the fast food restaurant. I was still wearing my horseback riding attire paired with sneakers. It didn't look horrendous, but it was certainly peculiar. Thankfully, all the attention left me and was placed on the very flashy car that we had just arrived in.

Ajax seemed impervious to the stares and led me to the counter. I guess being stared at was something else that came with being the next in line for a throne.

Though I had been aware of it before there was something unnerving about attempting to decipher the menu when it was in a different language. I had hardly been out of my own state. This felt like I was in another world with a man that I was struggling to trust. Now I had to rely on him fully.

"Are you allergic to anything?" Ajax whispered in my ear. That had was still resting against my back. That paired with his smooth voice made me shiver.

"No."

"What kind of burger do you want?"

"I want bacon and cheese on it for sure. Anything extra is just bonus," I replied.

Ajax stared at me for a moment. The corner of his mouth quirked up and there was a look in his eyes that made my body blush in delight. It was like he thought I was wonderful, like he thought I was beautiful in my horse clothes and beat up sneakers.

Ajax ordered for both of us. I had been a little doubtful of his ability to speak German. He spoke English so well and with such little accent I wondered if he had been lying to me. But his German seemed just as perfect and the young man behind the counter nodded along with everything he said, taking down our orders. A few minutes later we were seated at a small table with burgers, fries, and milkshakes.

From the outside it would've looked like the perfect date. From the inside it held a lot of tension, not all of it bad.

"I can't keep eating like this or I'm not going to be getting any tips when I dance," I complained, but shoved the burger in my mouth. Bacon and cheese, just like I asked, but also mushrooms, onions, and a wonderful sauce. It was incredible and just what I had needed.

Ajax's eyes snapped up from his food and he looked like he was about to say something but thought better of it. so, since that little jab didn't work, I tried to go for another. He could try and feed me and act like everything was fine, but I needed to unravel this mystery.

"Why do you care about the medication that was given to me?"

"Because it was a blocker, but we don't know what kind. It made you suppress a part of yourself that should never be suppressed and we need to undo it."

"Like what? Are you telling me that I'm secretly super creative? I know I'm Asian, but my mom wouldn't have been mad if I was good at painting and math."

Ajax rolled his eyes, "Please, this isn't about you filling out a stereotype."

"Then what is it about?"

"We can't talk about it now. And, though I hate what your mom did, I think she should be present when the truth comes out. You are going to have a ton of questions for her."

I didn't like the idea that I would be against my mom in anything. We had been a team of two for so long. But I decided to give it up.

"Well, if we can't talk about any of those things then what would you like to talk about?" I demanded.

"Anything. Honestly, just hearing the sound of your voice and not having you lunging for my jugular is enough to make my w-... me happy." There was honesty in every word and the way he was leaning forward with his elbow proper on the table told me that every sentence I said was worth millions to him. those green eyes were sparkling with joy. It still seemed impossible that any man as handsome as him would have any interest in me once I took my makeup and heels off.

"I'm pretty normal."

"Everyone seems very normal on the surface. It's the little details that make us all interesting. So, how about you start small? Like your favorite colour?"

"Black," I said instantly.

"Black isn't a colour."

"Well, I like it. It's so understated. It matches literally everything. It looks good as a plain hoodie, but it can also be on the most expensive gown and still look incredible. Plus, I look pretty good in it I think."

"I imagine that you look good in everything," he said softly.

I blushed and averted my eyes. It was so bizarre for me to think that this man had seen me almost naked and I had given him an orgasm but it was these quiet, kind comments that dripped into my heart.

"Tell me about your childhood," I blurted, trying to get the attention off of me.

"My childhood was pretty standard from the perspective of a royal. Grew up in a huge house, was homeschooled for the majority of my education, had a royal advisor and tutor. I really can't complain about Ivan though. He's just the nicest guy anyone could meet and my dad's best friend. Sorry, I'm ranting."

I wished he wouldn't be so apologetic in that moment. I was sitting just like he was with my arms folded on the table, resting my upper body on them. And with every word he spoke my eyes were locked on his lips, following their every movement. And all I could think about was how those lips had left on the side of my neck. The brief instant of contact had been enough to make my legs go weak. I couldn't imagine what would happen if he had actually kissed me on the mouth or if his hands had been under my shirt.

"Are you okay? You're getting a little red?" Ajax asked, his brow furrowing.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just feeling a little tired now."

"Guess you wouldn't have made it very far if you tried to run away, hey?"

"I guess not."

"How about you finishing eating and I'll drive us back home?"

I just nodded and nibbled on my fries as I tried to collect my thoughts again.