Chapter 20

I stayed on that bed until I heard Ajax's footsteps go down the hallway, towards the stairs. And once I was certain he was gone I stood up. my hand grabbed the door handle and tugged. Yup, definitely locked. I wandered towards the window. I knew I had determined that it wasn't a viable exit the first time, but I had to double check. And I had been right the first time. If I was able to break the glass it would be a hefty drop. It wouldn't be enough to kill me, but I would certainly be injured. And I wouldn't be able to make it very far if I was dragging one of my limbs along behind me.

I went to the landline phone. My shaking fingers dialed the emergency number. It didn't even ring.

So, with all my immediate escape options voided I was able to realize just how uncomfortable I was. I didn't know quite how long I had been here but I was still wearing my hiking clothes and my bladder was uncomfortably full. I eyed the bathroom. If I wasn't getting out of here any time soon I may as well dedicate a little time to my body and try and sort my thoughts. Ajax was nothing if not determined. If I wanted to get away from him I would have to have a high functioning body and a good plan. I had neither right now.

After I dealt with my bladder I decided that a shower was what I needed and that glorious bathroom had one of the most impressive showers I had ever seen. But curiosity was always stronger with me. I went to the two reusable shopping bags that Ajax had left on the floor first. There was a pair of sweatpants on top and a baggy shirt beneath it in one bag. The other one was filled with new toiletries. There was a tooth brush, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, and a hair brush. There was even a couple candy bars. Clearly this man intended that I stay with him for some time. The thought disgruntled me, but I was still filthy, sweaty, and in need of a shower so some part of me was thankful.

I soaked away the hike and everything that had come after that in the amazing shower. Who knew more than one showerhead was such a wonderful thing. My hair was so dusty that it stuck together and it took two shampoos just to get it clean, then a heavy condition to help me work out the tangles. Though the shower helped my body it didn't help my mind. I stayed until I felt squeaky clean, but my mind was still whirling when I located a white, fluffy towel and dried myself off. I ran the hair brush through my locks then scraped my teeth with the toothbrush. Overall I felt better but was still very aware that I was a prisoner.

I padded back into the bedroom and flicked through the small pile of clothing as my own were too dirty to wear now. Among the bland grey sweat pants and boring black shirt there was a flash of various colours. My fingers pulled out the pieces of clothing and my heart rate accelerated immediately. Bright red lace, pink satin, light blue cotton filled my hands. Three bras and three pairs of panties, one set of each colour.

I stared at the pieces and felt a warmth pool in my stomach. The idea of Ajax picking these out for me did something that I didn't expect. And when I thought of showing him these pieces on my body my heart pounded. I could almost hear him moaning in approval and feel his hands grabbing at me, desperate to touch. It was so unexpected I lost my breath.

But, then again, I should know by now that my body would be acting untraditionally to him. despite everything he had done to me my body was attracted beyond reason to him. it was an infuriating reality.

I tried my best to cast aside my desire and pulled on the most boring pair of panties out of the pile, then the sweatpants went over top. I tugged the tee-shirt on with no bra underneath. Since no escape had become apparent in the time it took me to collect myself I decided that rest was needed. I would have to escape eventually, however, Ajax and his accomplices didn't seem to want to cause me any harm. At least not yet. So I would sleep and tomorrow I would regroup.

My body slipped into those soft sheets and I was snoring in a matter of minutes.

When I woke up in the morning I was thankful to see that nothing in my room had changed. Ajax didn't seem like the type to sneak into my room at night, but, then again, he didn't seem like the kidnapping type either. I checked the door again. Still locked. I went for the phone again, this time dialing a more familiar number instead of an emergency line.

And I was astounded when it actually rang.

"Hello?" The voice was sleepy but filled my heart with joy.

"Holly," I whispered.

"Keiko, is that you?" She no longer sounded sleepy.

"Yes, it's me."

"Oh thank God. Your mother and I have been looking all over for you and calling you nonstop. Wait, why aren't you calling me from your cell? And why are you whispering?"

"That guy from the strip club, Ajax, he kidnapped me," I breathed.

"Oh," Holly said. Her voice was flat, bearing little to no concern about what I had just told her. In fact she seemed relieved.

"I can't call the cops. He has the phone disconnected or something," I continued, hoping the severity of the situation would dawn on her. "I need you to call them. And see if you can get ahold of the college. I don't want them to cancel my classes when they see I've missed the payment deadline."

"Oh, Keiko," Holly mumbled, almost groaning. "I'm not going to call the authorities. And I'm not going to call the college. For one thing you are most likely not even in the USA anymore. And you probably aren't going to be going back to college. Ever."

"What?" I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. What did she mean? I was going to be stuck here, in this room, forever? Or they would kill me? How on Earth could she be so calm about this?

"Everything will be fine," she soothed, clearly hearing my distress.

"Fine? Fine?" I hissed back, "What do you mean I won't be going back to college? Why aren't you upset about this? Why aren't you trying to get me back home?"

"Keiko, you have to trust me. You will never be safer than when you're with Ajax. He's going to take care of you. I know that-"

There was a sliding noise. The lock was being undone. I slammed the phone down just as the door opened.