4

>>>>

>>>>

Today was the day I'd tell Miss Bourgeois that I was taking the position. I was nervous but overall excited and ready for this change in my life. With my parents out of the picture I barely had anyone left, and with my sister getting married soon she'd be too focused on Devon to stick around with me.

I walk into work with my head held high as I sit down at what would soon be someone else's desk. The desk that I had grown accustomed to for the past four years would belong to someone else in less than twenty-four hours.

Like every other morning, Miss Bourgeois walks around our department before walking over to me. She looks at me expectantly and I smile at her, "I've had some time to think it over and I'm going to take the position"

"Good! Your desk is already prepared for you. You start there first thing tomorrow. You'll be on the floor below me", she nods her head and walks away. I take a sip of my coffee as a ghost of a smile appears on my face. Things were looking up from here. Suddenly, my phone rings. Jessica.

"Jess, I'm at work right now, I can't talk", I tell her as I try to be as quiet as possible. I hear her sniffling on the other line as my heart drops, "Jess? What's wrong?"

"It's Devon, he was in a car accident and he's in really bad shape. I don't know what to do", she cries. I start packing up my things as I keep my phone close to my ear. "Which hospital is he at? I'm on my way"

"No! You can't do that, Dani. You'll lose your job"

"He's family, Jess. Which hospital is he at?", I tell her as I walk up to Miss Bourgeois' office to tell her what's happening. "They brought him to Bellevue Hospital Center"

"I'm on my way. Hang in there, okay? I'll be there soon", I try to comfort her. Miss Bourgeois quickly excuses me, understanding that these things happen, as I rush to my car. I drive all the way to the hospital that Devon is staying in as I lock my car doors. I rush into the hospital frantically asking a nurse where Devon was.

I see Jessica down the hall as I disregard the nurse, running straight towards my little sister. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was evidently tear stained. I said nothing as I pulled her into my arms, catching sight of Devon through the clear window that adorned the wall of his room. I couldn't help but tear up myself as I continued to hug my sister and watch my soon to be brother in-law laying on a hospital bed, battered and bruised.

I never got to see Devon often, but the times that I did see him he was nothing but nice to me. He's always so welcoming and kind and I'm happy that my sister has him. I walk into the hospital room holding my sisters hand as her grip intensifies the closer we get to Devon's bedside. "How did it happen?"

"There was a police chase on the highway and the getaway car crashed into Devon's car when he was heading towards the exit. The cops caught the guy who did this but he died a few minutes after I called you", she sniffles. "And what did the doctors say about Devon?", I ask her worriedly.