6

>>>>

>>>>

"Daniella, I know you're in there!", my mother shouts from the other side of the door. She begins to bang her fists on my door as I roll my eyes, going back upstairs to apply my body cream and spray and to dry my hair. Once I'm finished I walk back downstairs and turn on my television as I sit on the couch. "If you don't open this door I will break it open"

"I'd like to see you try", I yell back. Minutes passed and she kept on banging on my door. I slam the remote control on the coffee table as I open my front door, not because it was my mother but because I didn't want her to ruin my front door with her persistent knocking.

"What do you want, mom", she ignores me as she pushes past me and walks into my home. I slam the door behind me and laugh coldly as I cross my arms. "Excuse me but this is my house and you have no right to be here without my permission. Now leave"

"I don't think that's going to happen, sweetheart", she laughs menacingly. She sits down on my couch and crosses her legs as she analyses my home. "Why are you here?"

"Oh just to pay you a visit"

"Yeah right, you and I both know that's a load of crap", I scoff as sit as far away from her as possible. I stare at her with a sour look as I wait for her to speak. "I came here because I want an apology".

"I'm sorry, a what?", I ask her, taken aback. Was she seriously here just to get an apology from me? This was her lowest of lows. "An apology. I thought about it and I thought about giving you one more chance to apologize"

"Apologize for what? For your antics that embarrassed me in front of everyone? You're not going to get one from me, I'm sorry. I have nothing to apologize for me because this time I'm not in the wrong", I tell her as I stand up. She looks up at me with a sour look on her face, "I beg your pardon? You made your father and I look like a bunch of fools in front of our friends and coworkers!"

"No, mom, you made yourself look like a fool. Why won't you just admit that you're wrong? Own up to your mistakes, god what is wrong with you? I understand Jessica is your favorite, she always has been, but what have I ever done to you to deserve being treated like this? Why do you hate me so much? I thought that maybe overtime we could find a way to get along or at least try and tolerate each other, but I guess I was wrong", I tell her as my voice begins to shake.

"If that's the way you feel then that's fine by me! Don't expect to be welcomed into our home anymore. As of this point on, you are no longer apart of our family as far as I'm concerned", she yells as she opens my front door. "Why can't you just tell me why you hate me?", I scream, but she simply gives me one last look and slams the door shut, leaving me to bask in my own emotions as I sink into my couch, sobs escaping my mouth as I clench my fists.

What did I do wrong? Why didn't my own mother love me?

***

"Dani? Daniella? Wake up", a soft voice said as I felt them shake my body. I shrug their hands off of me as I curl my body into the couch before realizing that someone was in my home. I shoot up from the couch, startled as I look around my house, trying to spot the intruder, only to be faced with my sister. I sigh in relief as I lean my back on the couch. "Dani...", Jess whispers as she looks at me. "You look—you look awful", she whispers as her eyes tear up. I look away from her as I try to swallow, wincing at the rawness of my throat from yelling at my mom last night. "What happened, Dani?"