Chapter 36

Mito: sensei, I'm sorry that I took too much time
Orochimaru: ( shake his head ) it's fine, at least you succeeded...
Mito: sensei... what's wrong with your hand?
Orochimaru: that old bastard did it... looks like your friend can live a little longer than expected...
Mito: speaking of that... did you do what I ask you to do?... In exchange for bringing Rito to you...
Orochimaru: don't worry, it's all done.

...

The Hokage's funeral.

Villager 1: why is this happening...
Villager 2: Sandaime passed away, yondaime is injured, the yondaime's wife is not around, the child of prophecy gone, that monster is still around... what is going to happen to us??
Villager 3: SH!! Give some respect to the Sandaime!!

The academy's swing.

Naruto is sitting on the swing. Since some villagers won't let "one of the enemies' comrades" near the funeral, he can't join the funeral.

He thought he could be able to joke around with Kurama about how the villager is being idiots again, think how Mito and Rito disappear together along with Orochimaru's escape or even write the report about him fighting against Gaara.

However, all he is doing now is to sit on the swing and held on to its rope.

Kit...
Naruto: ne, Kurama. I really am an idiot, aren't I? Making that kind of promise
...
Naruto: "I will not let you die so easily"...what a joke...
Kit, it's not your fault... people just die
Naruto: then why am I not dead? I'm the monster that everyone hates, you know?... The type where people would laugh and said "that's great!" When I die...
Kit...
Naruto: it's just... suffocating... why live when you are better off dead?
Kit. you won't die, I won't let you die.
Naruto: you making it sound like I'm dying, isn't that funny?
??: what's funny is that you are talking to yourself

A person shows up beside Naruto while he was swinging.

Naruto: yo, Ron. How do you do?
Ron: if you don't include my sister being missing. I'm doing quite okay.
Naruto: haha...
Ron:... you know? I think this has something to do with Mito.
Naruto: Mito? Isn't she lost as well? (thought ) this kid is sharp...
Ron:... my sister knows Mito.
Naruto: haha, of course. They are best friends.
Ron: my sister knows the Real Mito. She knows that something is wrong with mito.
Naruto:...
Rito: but rito said she wants to understand mito... She really wanted to be her friend.
Naruto: haha... how naive. ( jump off the swing ) I need to go now, have fun.
Ron: you know where my sister went, don't you?
Naruto: she's having some fun with snakes. Bye ( wave his hand )
Ron: snakes?...

......

Jiraiya: hehe... look at that body...
Unknown human A: I see that you have not given up on your "research".
Jiraiya: I'm just doing it one more time before dealing with bothersome stuff.
Unknown human B: hm...
Jiraiya: Homura otchan, Koharu-sensei. What business does the committee advisor have with me?
Homura: what business? I guess you already have an idea.
Jiraiya: kushina can handle those, she has done those paperwork before
Koharu: the problem with that is Kushina is in the middle of treatment. Looks like someone poisoned her, with the same type of poison they used on Minato.
Jiraiya: ( scatch his head ) Orochimaru again, huh...
Homura: the villager are getting scared, we need a leader that we can rely on.
Jiraiya: too bad for you, but I have better thing to work on.
Koharu: this decision is made by the council. It is decided that you, Jiraiya, is the next Hokage.
Jiraiya: Minato isn't dead yet... aren't we supposed to look for Tsunade to cure him and kushina?
Koharu: we have no information on her whereabouts.
Jiraiya: I will go look for her and bring her back, no biggie.
Homura: then there is another decision that was made.
Jiraiya: what?
Homura: Naruto Uzumaki would start to serve as Konoha's last weapon.
Jiraiya:... it wasn't Minato who gave that idea, right?
Koharu: it was a member of the civilian council that came up with this idea.
Jiraiya: ( laugh ) since when did the civilian gets to decide our shinobi stuff.
Koharu: this is the best for the village.
Jiraiya: so? Why are the two of you telling me this?
Homura: we need the Hokage's consent.
Jiraiya: haha... too bad, but the Hokage has already asked me to look after the boy.