[1] imprisonment and escape

Death. That's all Rowena could think about as her body forced itself to move and her vision started to clear. She looked around the dark, damp room, the only light coming from the small square windows far up the walls on her left side. There were long, metal pipes hiding the ceiling panels and walls with a long line of lockers right in front of her. Rowena's mind suddenly sprung into action as she stood up quickly, her breathing heavy, as she rattled the cold, metal bars.

"It's no use." Rowena heard a strangled voice say, followed by a ragged cough. "There's no way out." Rowena looked in the direction of the voice and saw a young woman with dark hair, covered in blood and dirt, sitting with her knees loosely to her chest. Her head was resting on the bars behind her and her dark hair was matted and sweaty as if she had been doing exactly what Rowena had been doing a second ago.

"How long have you been here?" Rowena asked, moving her body so that she was leant up against the corner of the cage, arms crossed and legs limp from fatigue.

The woman shifted her body, slightly, wincing as she moved, "A few weeks... I'm Dot." She replied.

"Rowena." She said, moving herself to sit next to Dot, her back resting against the cold steel bars, "Where exactly are we?"

"I'm not sure." She answered. She inhaled a sharp breath before continuing, "Valentine's men kidnapped me and brought me here. Wherever here is... what about you?"

Rowena sighed, "I was just at home, sleeping and I woke up here. I don't remember what happened. Why would Valentine want me? I'm not a Shadowhunter. I'm not a Downworlder."

"What are you?"

"I'm half-angel, half-demon." Rowena answered, truthfully. "The only viable reason he'd want me is because he wants angel blood, but I'm not even pure angel. If he wanted pure angel blood, he'd have to find a pure angel, wouldn't he?" She mumbled, emphasising the word 'pure' as if it were the most important word in the world.

"I don't kn-" Dot started to answer before they heard the door open and a man stepped through. He was bald and had shadowhunter runes that covered him from head to toe, with a red circle rune that sat in a prominent position on his neck. He stalked through the door and towards the cage with a sly grin on his face, lifting his hands up in front of him.

"Welcome, Rowena." He cried, marching towards the cage, two other men with circle runes on their necks following close behind. "I was waiting for you to wake up so we could properly meet. I see you've become acquainted with Dorothea, that's good." He paused, probably waiting for Rowena to answer him but she stayed silent, a piercing glare aimed at his face. "Now, you're probably wondering why I brought you here. Well, I have an angel with me... You may know him, but he isn't very co-operative so I need you to work your angel magic and get him to do exactly what I need him to."

Rowena scoffed, chuckling to herself, "You really think I'm going to do what you say!" She cried, laughing harder with every breath, she put her hands on her knees and turned to Dot, who had a concerned look on her face, motioned for her to stop kidding around, "He really thinks that I am going to do what he says! Isn't that funny!" Valentine's grin had slowly faded to a scowl and then to a face of pure anger. "Ha, ha. No."

"You will do exactly as I say or I am going to kill you!" Valentine yelled, pointing a finger at her face. He was fuming, ears letting out steam and face red as a tomato, which just made Rowena's laugh even louder, clapping her hands together, then slapping her knees.

"Or you're going to kill me... I'd like to see you try!" She teased, chuckling, a sarcastic smile sitting on her rosy lips as she recovered from her laughing fit. "I'm almost 5,000 years old! If I could be killed that easily it would've happened by now!"

"I am going to-" Valentine yelled, before getting cut off by one of his Circle members, who had entered the room followed by a dozen more, whispering something in his right ear. He listened immensely and his face changed from one of anger to one of frustration as he turned back to Rowena and Dot. "Well, I'm going to have to love you and leave you, my dears." He then turned to the group of a dozen circle members, "Bring the prisoners and get ready to move." He said, stomping quickly out of the room. The circle members came up to the cage and shot both Rowena and Dot with some kind of tranquilizer gun, causing them both to faint.

A few minutes later, Rowena woke up, slowly, her vision clearing to see Dot, being carried by a circle member a few feet in front of her. Rowena came to the conclusion that she was in the same situation. She waited until she knew she had her full strength before she kicked one of her legs towards her captor's face, knocking out the guy holding her and flipping herself the right way up, which alerted the circle members that she had awoken. The circle member carrying Dot immediately started running away with her, whilst the remaining dozen stayed behind to fight Rowena off.

"This is going to be fun." Rowena stated before throwing a punch at the circle member directly in front of her and grabbing his seraph blade, which did not light up but did make for a useful weapon. She lunged forward and stabbed one in the chest, using her left hand to take out another with the little demonic magic she possessed. She used her speed and stamina to take out a few more before coming face to face with the last one standing. He lunged at her with his seraph blade, cutting her side, which healed almost instantly, before throwing his fist at her head, narrowly missing, giving Rowena the opportunity to knock his legs out from under him and stab him in the chest.

Rowena wiped her face of the few drops of blood that had landed on her before removing the seraph blade and taking off into the dark tunnels to find Dot and a way out.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

Luv u xxx