[17] mothers and reacquainting

Rowena followed Clary as she walked into the Institute trying to get away from her mother. Clary led Rowena, along with Simon and Jocelyn into the training room where her mother got her to stop and turn around to face her. Rowena took a step back, gently pulling Simon with her, as to not interfere with the family drama.

"What is wrong with you? We almost had him back." Clary yelled at her mother, anger rose in her voice and her face started to redden.

A pained look appeared on Jocelyn's face as she kept her space from Clary while also trying to reach out to her, "You don't understand." She started.

"You're right, I don't. I don't understand why you would try to kill my brother." Clary interrupted, her brows furrowed as she threw her hands out. She turned to walk away from her mother, adamant in her decision that Jocelyn was wrong.

"Because your brother, he's not who you think he is." Jocelyn screamed, loudly in an attempt to gain her attention. She composed herself before continuing, "Honey, there's still so much you don't know."

Clary turned around, she was so angry that Rowena wouldn't be surprised if steam were to come out of her ears, "Oh, and whose fault is that? Everyone says that Valentine is the monster," She started, moving closer to her mother, "but you, you just tried to murder your own son!" She shouted.

Before Rowena could stop him, Simon leapt forwards, separating the two shadowhunters in fear of the worst, "Hey, maybe we should take a deep breath and relax."

"Simon, give us some space, please." Jocelyn asked, "And ask your friend too, as well." Rowena agreed with Jocelyn but on the other hand, she didn't want to leave Clary alone.

Simon moved back slightly, inching towards Rowena, "Sure thing, Mrs. F."

Before Simon and Rowena could leave, Clary interrupted again, "No. No, neither of you are going anywhere. You're the only two people I can trust right now." Clary said. Even though Clary's words had come at a bad time for her, Rowena felt comfort in them and a small smile accidently crept its way onto her lips.

Jocelyn went to speak but a look of regret crossed her face as she started to go pale and her hands shook. She moved away from Clary but turned to face her, "I want you to know... I'm a victim here, too. We all are. When I was pregnant with your brother, Valentine drugged me. He did an experiment on the baby."

"What?" Clary asked, her eyes widened and she looked as though she might faint.

"He injected Jonathan with demon blood." Jocelyn said. Her tone expressed very forcefully that it was a bad thing, causing Rowena to feel even worse about herself than she already did. She looked over towards Simon, who had an equally distressed look on his face to the one Rowena had on hers.

Clary's eyebrows furrowed, "Why would he do that?"

Jocelyn sighed, "He's sick. He thought demon blood would make our unborn child strong. And it did. But it also made him... evil." Simon looked down at the floor and fiddled with one of his sleeves, whereas Rowena started to become angry, no, not angry; furious. How dare a Shadowhunter call half of her blood evil?

"No, even if that's true, Downworlders have demon blood. They're not all bad. Rowena has demon blood and she's saved our lives, and yours, countless times." Clary defended, desperation in her eyes, as she looked over towards Simon and Rowena.

Rowena felt happy that Clary had defended her but the look that Jocelyn was giving her was not a good one, so she interjected, "Demon blood isn't the problem; it's what you do with it. Even if Jace has demon blood it wouldn't make him evil, he is still human. He can decide for himself."

Clary listened intently to Rowena and nodded her head, while Jocelyn chose to ignore her, "Clary, you have no idea how much I loved your brother. He was my baby boy. And I didn't wanna believe it until I saw what he was capable of."

Jocelyn grabbed Clary's arm and activated one of her runes with her stele, turning Clary's eyes white. Rowena thought Clary looked as if she was in some sort of trance. Once she came out of it, Jocelyn spoke again, "And it wasn't the last time something like that happened. So I went to one of Idris' most powerful warlocks, Ragnor Fell. He warned me that, in the future, your brother would only leave death and destruction in his wake."

-------------

After the revelation that Jace was an evil-flower-killing monster, Rowena had left the room in a huff, not being able to take it anymore and decided she needed to see either Magnus or Diana for advice. She rounded the corner and bumped into none other than Aldertree.

"Rowena," He started, a stupid smile on his face that made Rowena want to rip his head off, "Nice to see you again. I'd like to have a quick chat with you in my office."

Rowena huffed, pushing him out of the way, "Not now."

"Yes, now." Aldertree said, grabbing her arm, "I don't want to make an enemy out of you, Rowena."

Rowena could sense that Aldertree was not scared of her like Camille was and was not threatened by her. "I think you already made me enemy when you kicked me, Luke and Simon out of this Institute and treated us like we're dirt on the bottom of your shoe just because we have demon blood flowing through our veins. But I also have angel blood, like you an every other shadowhunter, except I have more power than any shadowhunter ever will. So let go of my arm, or I will kill you." Aldertree let her arm go and Rowena burst out of the Institute, taking deep breaths to calm herself down.

Rowena sprouted her wings and took flight. She flew around the city for a few hours, stopping every now and then to people watch. She thought about whether she would've been better being born human, not knowing about the shadow world and just living normally. She knew that she could never be human, never forget about the shadow world but she longed for a normal human life.

-----------

After flying around the city, she decided to go to the Jade Wolf and see Luke. He seemed like a good person to get advice from; he knew Jocelyn and Valentine, he knew about Downworlders and demon blood and he knew about the situation but wasn't directly involved. She landed in front of the Jade Wolf and retracted her wings. She started walking towards the entrance when she heard a container door opening. She turned towards it and saw Raphael walking out.

"Raphael, how's my second favourite vampire?" Rowena asked, sarcasm lacing her words. She had her arms crossed and a mischievous look was on her face.

Raphael sighed, a small chuckle escaping his lips, "Terrible. Sorry for stabbing you last time we met."

"Sorry for pushing you against a wall and dropping you," Rowena started, "Friends?"

Raphael chuckled again, putting his hand out for Rowena to shake, "Friends." Rowena extended her hands and the two shook on it, "Anyway, what are you doing at a werewolf hang out?"

Rowena looked around, "Could ask you the same question." She stated. Raphael gave her a look and Rowena caved, "Wanted to see if Luke was around, need someone to talk to."

"I could act as your therapist if you do the same for me?" Raphael asked. Rowena nodded and the two took off on a walk.

A/N: Hi, sorry for not updating and being active on here very much lately but I've pre-written like eight chapters so hopefully I'll be back to my usual rhythm now! Hope you're enjoying the book! 

Luv u xxxxx