[5] werewolves and father figures

Rowena ran around the side of the Renwick building, checking for demons or circle members or anything that could pose a threat to them but at that moment there didn't seem to be anything or anyone around at all. Once she had gone all the way around the building she headed to where Clary and Luke were waiting and chatting.

"Hey guys, I didn't see anything on my perimeter check." She informed, panting slightly from the running. She looked between the two, both of them looking deep in thought and concerned.

"Guys, look!" Clary said, pointing towards the building where Rowena could just about make out hundreds, if not thousands, of eyes hidden in the darkness of the windows.

--------

"We couldn't even count the demons." Clary explained, as she stood in front of Michael and Jace, Luke and Rowena by her side, back at the Jade Wolf.

"Yeah, but we still gotta get Jocelyn out of there." Luke said, stating the obvious.

Rowena sighed, "How? We can't get past all those demons."

"Yeah, it would be a suicide mission." Jace agreed.

Clary crossed her arms across her chest, "I have the Cup. Demons have to obey me." She said, confidently.

"That's what Valentine wants. He knows you'll do anything to save your mother. He wants you to take out the Cup and use it." Michael said, arguing Clary's point to keep the cup safe.

"And if I do?"

"He'll take it. And he'll kill us, too."

A determined look graced Clary's face, one that Rowena had grown to know quite well over the last day or so. "Let him try." She said, making a swift exit from the Jade Wolf and heading back to Renwick with the rest of the group in tow.

--------

When they arrived back at Renwick, there was no trace of demons at all. Rowena had an inkling that it could all be a trap and she knew that everyone else had a similar view. She was currently stood behind Clary, using her angelic and demonic powers to scan the building for any demons. She heard the boys speaking and then the clang of swords as some circle members attacked Jace, Luke and Michael. Clary then motioned towards Rowena and the two made a run for the building, heading inside.

Clary and Rowena stepped carefully as they headed through the building, Clary with her seraph blade in hand, Rowena with a knife in one hand and the other one held up for if she needed to use her powers. They came to a double door which they swung open, and Clary came face-to-face with her unconscious mom, dropping her blade and going over to her.

"Mom. Mom!" Clary whimpered, tears welling up in her green eyes. "Mom, please, wake up!" Rowena stood watching Clary, not exactly knowing what to do, when they heard footsteps down the hallway and turned to see Jace and Michael coming towards them.

"Where's Luke?" Rowena asked before Clary had the chance.

"We left him fighting Blackwell. Luke told us to leave him." Jace answered, frustration prominent in his tone of voice. Clary ran up to the door to try and open it to get to Luke but Jace stopped her, "No! What are you doing? Get back!" he yelled, holding her in his arms.

"Jace, we cannot shut Luke out! He has to make it inside!" She yelled back, Jace moving her away from the door.

"No, Clary, there is not enough time!" Jace shouted. Gripping her arms and staring her straight in the eyes.

"We have to secure the room. We don't even know if Luke is still..." Michael started before Clary cut him off.

"Alive?" Clary yelled. "Jace, no. You have to tell him! We cannot shut Luke out! He will die for nothing! I can't wake her up." Clary was panicking now; Rowena could hear it in her voice.

"Luke wants you and Jocelyn out of here. That's all he cares about. Pull yourself together." Michael said, harshly.

"Don't worry, Clary." Rowena said, coming up beside her and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, "Luke is strong, he'll make it out alive, but right now you need to worry about you and Jocelyn making it out alive." Rowena tried to calm Clary down the best she could but Michael and Jace weren't helping much.

"Clary, if you don't help us, no one survives. Do you understand? We will get her home. Look at me! We will find a way to wake her up. Do you believe me?" Jace asked.

"Get ready!" Michael shouted as Jace pulled away from Clary.

"Clary, now. We can't wait any longer." Jace said, as Clary pulled the Mortal Cup out of her bag and held it up in front of her. This wasn't the first time Rowena had seen the cup but it was the first time she had seen it be used.

"Demons, I command you! Find Valentine!" Clary shouted. The demons didn't stop banging on the walls, in fact they sounded even more eager to get in. Rowena put her knife up and formed a small ball of magic in her left hand, while Jace raised his seraph blade in response. "Demons, find Valentine!" Clary called again.

"Let me try," Michael said, taking the cup from Clary. He stood for a few seconds, holding the cup in his grasp.

"Come on!" Jace ushered, desperation in his voice. Michael pointed his seraph blade at his arm and started cutting a line upwards, "No, no," Jace pleaded as Michael started to transform and Valentine rose from the ashes.