I

It was a cold night.
There was nothing to special about it really, but it was quite calming-
Well, it would be if I wasn't here.

We shall begin our story in a city, a beautiful, yet so horrible city. On the sidewalk of one of its winding streets stood a girl, No older than 25, staring off into the distance. She wasn't looking at anything in particular, just...looking. You see, this girl is actually me, and being me I just couldn't sleep.

I'm not sure what compelled me to go outside on a night like this, and especially in a city like this, but I suppose it's better than tossing and turning in an equally cold bed while trying to reach the unattainable. Maybe it isn't better, though. The increase in crime here has at least doubled over the past few months and it was extremely unsafe, especially for a woman. No matter, it's not as if they can just pick me up, I'm not that short.

I sighed, my hands shoving further into my jackets pocket as I started to walk back home. It calmed my nerves that if anyone else was hypothetically here, I would probably hear them as the absence of any noise only amplified any noise that was made. Oh how wrong I was, but I didn't know it yet.

🖤 time skip🖤

A blaring sound awoke me, but soon stopped after I hit what was making it with all of my nonexistent might. "Stupid clock, I swear to god I will murder you" I groaned, peeling myself from off of my bed. I made my way into the kitchen where I lazily shoved two pop tarts into the toaster before moving into the bathroom.

I leaned on the sink, looking at my reflection in the mirror. "Oh god, my skin if getting worse" I said, placing one hand on my S/C cheek. The bags under my eyes were a lot more noticeable than before, but it was probably worse seeing as I just woke up. The few freckles that had once dotted my face had now faded as a result of the lack of sun and my skin itself looked a more ashy colour than it did before. I grabbed the brush that was next to the sink and started raking it through my messy H/C before I heard that all too iconic 'pop' of the toaster. I quickly splashed my face with water before rushing through to get the pastry.

After breakfast was done and I had finished getting dressed, I headed outside. I might be a tad strange but even I have a place in society, you know. I quickly drove myself into the centre of the city to my place of work. It was an art gallery, and not a tiny one either. It payed well and a lot of the stuff there was actually pretty interesting.

My boss, Mr. Harred stood at the entrance, waiting for me to come in so that we could finally open. "You're late, Y/N." He started, placing a caring hand on my back and ushering me inside. "I suppose you went on one of your walks again? You have to stop doing those, I worry for you."

Mr. Harred was a nice man, at least 30 or so years older than I am. He's like a father to me as mine was absent and he took me in when my mother-
Better not dwell on that right now.

"I'll try not to, I promise." I half heartedly smiled, "Be late, I mean." The man before be frowned, but continued on with what he had to say. "Someone dropped by last night, 'Said he was a friend of yours. Johnny, I think his name was. Skinny guy, kinda wacky lookin'"

I furrowed my brow,
"I don't know a Johnny."