Chapter 34

A/N: Thank you all for your patience with this story while I was away on my business trip and couldn't convert this story. You sweeties rule!!
I think I might keep up with the slow but lengthy approach I have going on lately. Makes it feel a little more choppy to me but it allows me to get it out to you all in a slightly less stressful manner.

As always, thank you for reading and commenting. It keeps me motivated to hear about your thoughts and emotions (really strong ones from that last chapter it seems). I hope you enjoy!

-/-/-/-/-/-

Lauren approached the Grande house with a stride much slower than her normal walk. It was just like her dream only this time when the door opened and Michelle stepped out, it wasn't with a crashing hug of excitement to see her. Her daughter opened the door and leaned against the entrance in what appeared to the photographer to be a mix of defeat and emotional exhaustion. She wasn't sure if she preferred this or her dream. "Should I be afraid to ask how the week has gone?"

Michelle forced herself out of the doorway and gradually made her way into her birth mother's arms, crashing against her, arms still crossed over her chest. Lauren mashed her lips together and gently ran her hands up and down her daughter's back until the teenager relented and embraced her in a firm hug. "It actually wasn't that bad until last night. I thought we had made real progress but... I don't know. I just don't think there has been enough time for us."

"Well, you still have another week to-" Lauren cut herself off as Nikki appeared at the front door now. "I'm assuming you at least told her about Nikki, right? Please tell me you told her about Nikki."

"Yeah. And Mom even invited her down." Michelle pulled away and turned back to the barista, who moved to join them with a slight wave to the photographer. "She took that better than photography. I'm not complaining though."

Lauren clapped her hands together in an attempt to lighten the mood. "Well, that's good, at least. Right?"

Michelle only nodded. She didn't sleep very well last night after everything that had happened. Her mind just played it over and over again. It wasn't until Nikki rolled over and ran her hands through her hair that she was finally able to stop her thoughts and drift off.

The barista stepped forward to break the silence. "How was the cruise?"

"It was good," Lauren answered instinctively. "But never again. Ever. Not until the kids are much older and even then, I will cave and let Camila plan a trip to Disney World instead."

"They both sound like a nightmare to me," Michelle noted before turning back to the house. She placed her hands in her pocket and realized the noise from inside was her phone ringing. "I'll be right back. Or you can come inside. Whatever you prefer."

The pair waited a moment and let the distance between them and the teenager grow. "Okay. So, what happened last night?" Lauren asked in a hushed voice, lightly grabbing Nikki's arm to hold her back to talk.

The barista took a deep breath and let it out quickly. She wasn't entirely sure if it was her place but she couldn't shake the feeling that Lauren was somehow going to be Michelle's savior for this trip. She wasn't sure how, but Lauren being there was going to be a good thing. Hopefully. "Honestly, the event itself wasn't that big of a deal. It just sorts of lead to an impasse between her and Ariana. It was a realization for Michelle, I think, that there's actually a lot more work that needs to be done between them before things get to where she wants them."

"And Ariana..." the older raven-haired trailed off when she saw the wince on the brunette's face. "What?"

"I don't think this is completely on Ariana. I mean, she did not handle it well at all and I feel like she went way too extreme to one side, but I think Michelle may be realizing her past decisions to be rebellious and do what she wanted are coming back to bite her. Regardless, Ariana jumping to conclusions and refusing to hear Michelle out is the core issue."