~11~

The night of Mat's away game, I hung out at my dorm with the girls waiting for the game to start. Promptly at 7:05, the game started. All in all, the game ended in a score of 3-1 Devils. This was Mathew's first loss since we started talking. I wonder how upset he would be. Surprisingly, not very mad, he texted me after the game and asked to facetime. In a minute, my phone was ringing and his picture was popping up on my screen.

"Hey stud!" I say when it connects me to my hockey player friend in New Jersey.

"Hey there!" He says cheerily. I can tell he's outside but he's alone.

"Where are you? At the rink?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm outside, we're about to start loading up the bus." He says. "Did you watch the game?" He adds.

"Yeah, the girls and I had a little watch party. You played really well." I say.

"Thanks, just wish we would've gotten the win." He says.
"I do too but at least you got a point out of it." I say.

"Since when do you start paying attention to hockey?" He asks, laughing.

"Since this hockey player bought my drink at a Starbucks one time." I say.

"He must be a smooth dude."

"He is, he's awesome." I say, smiling at the phone to him. He notices and just looks at me, smiling back.

Just then, I can hear someone on his end saying "Barzy, you comin or you walkin home?" "Yeah I'll be right there!" He calls back.

"Hey I have to go."

"It's ok, let me know when you're back." I say.

"I will. Hey, Lex." He says before hanging up.

"Yes Mathew?"

"Goodnight." He says.

"Goodnight." I respond.

"See ya."
"Bye."

And with that, he hangs up. I plug my phone in next to my bed and get ready for bed. At about midnight, after I'm fast asleep, my phone buzzes with a text message that reads

We're home, you're probably asleep so sleep well. -M