~17~

When we get to the arena, Mat gives me a quick side squeeze before heading to the locker room. I head to the stands and sit a bit higher up than the fans who came to watch the public practice. I feel the coolness of the ice wafting around me, especially since the cooler fan is blowing. But I know Mathew will be sweaty afterwards. I pull the fabric of the hoodie he gave me close around me and over my cold hands.

Eventually, the team comes out to practice and they get started on drills. I watch all the guys, though I mostly keep my eyes on Mat. He's easily one of if not the fastest skater on the team.

After I start to notice all the guys on the ice shuffle off the ice, the fans start to filter out as well. I pull my phone out and scroll through Instagram.

20 or so minutes later, the guys come out after showering and changing. I see Mat come out, duffle bag over his shoulder. I watch as a young boy runs up to him, holding out a marker and puck. Mat stops and signs it and his dad asks for a picture. Mat squats down to be level with the little boy, who can't be more than 3. He goes hidden behind the boards. After he interacts with his fans, he continues to make his way over to me. Once at the edge of the bleachers, he waves me over. I go down the stairs and meet him on the ground. "You ready?" He asks. "Been waiting on you." I joke. To my surprise, he takes my hand and we leave the rink.

Once we get buckled into his car, he asks "You wanna go home yet?" "If you want me to. I don't want to hold you up from plans you have." I say. "I didn't have any." He says, starting the car. "Movie day at my place?" He asks. "Sounds good to me." I say.