~44~

Over the next couple weeks, I jump back into school and Mat goes away on his 6 game road trip. We didn't get to talk much while he was away. He did make sure to text me good morning almost every morning though. Of course, I got nervous about how much he was distancing himself but Sophia kept reminding me that this was a busy time for him. Eventually I calmed down and one night he facetimed me for about 5 minutes before he had to get on a bus to go back to the hotel they were staying at. Most nights I went to bed wearing the Seattle Thunderbirds tshirt he gave me over break. It smelled like him and it made me feel better. It made me want to move in with him even more.

MAT'S POV

One night after one of our away games, I hit up a bar with Anthony, Cizikas and Gary (Jordan Eberle).

"So Mat, how was break with Lexi?" Jordan asks, taking a sip from his beer. "It was awesome, I enjoyed spending so much time with her." I say, checking the time on my watch. "She go back to school?" He asks. "Yeah, I don't know when I'll get to see her again unless it's to pick her up for the all star break." I say. "He's wrapped." I hear Anthony mumble with a smirk on his face. "Am not." I say, taking a sip of my own drink. "She totally has him by the balls." Gary says, laughing with Anthony. I roll my eyes and stay silent. This was day 5 of our road trip and day 7 of not seeing Lex. We still had another 10 days to go.

After a while, we headed back to the hotel and I hopped in the shower. Just as I was getting into bed, my phone rings. It's Lex.

"Hey baby whats up?" I ask when it connects.

Hey love! Did I catch you at a bad time?

I was just about to head to bed, what's up?

Oh I just wanted to call you quick since I just got done my homework, wanted to see how you were doing.

I'm good, I actually need to go to sleep though, we have an early bus tomorrow. I say, instantly feeling bad about shutting her down.

Oh ok, I'm sorry.

It's ok babe. I'll talk to you later. Love you.

Love you too. I hear before she hangs up. I feel this pang in my heart knowing I was a little rude to her.

The next day, we went from Anaheim to Los Angeles and had a game that night. I hadn't scored since the game my parents watched after Christmas and I didn't score this game either, in fact, I got two penalties. I got into it with Kyle Clifford after he plowed into Var in the net. I get sent to the box for fighting first, and then for a slash that wasn't really a slash at all. We were also down by a goal and couldn't seem to get it right, for some reason. After I got called for the second penalty, all my pent up anger escaped when I slammed my stick on the ice on the way back to the box. It snapped in two. A slew of curse words came from my mouth as I sat down, shaking my head.

We ended up winning but now I had a broken stick, cut on my cheek from the fight and a bad attitude. Not exactly the performance I wanted to show right before all-star. After I got a shower, my face stopped bleeding and I had given my broken stick away to some little kid and I walk out and Coach pats me on the back as I pass him. "It's ok Barz, just go back, rest well tonight and come back refreshed for tomorrow." I nod without saying a word and start walking down the street to the hotel. When I get back, I try calling Lexi but it just goes to voicemail. I get a text from her a moment later saying

Sorry, I have a huge paper due tomorrow. I'll try calling later?

I respond with

No it's ok, do your homework. Love you.

Love you too

I should've known she'd be busy with schoolwork. I huff and throw my phone on the bed and it bounced off the bed and hit the floor with a thud. I groan and fall face forward on the bed, huffing angrily again.

The next morning, I shoot Lexi a text saying

"I'm sorry I've been so busy, I miss you. Can't wait to see you again. Love you!"

A minute later she responds with

I miss you too babe, I can't wait to see you either... good luck in Vegas tonight, I'll be watching.

"Thanks babe! I love you so much." I respond. It just felt like I should say I love you again.

That night, I finally scored against Vegas and we won. I decide to call Lexi after the game and tell her about it.

She picks up after the second ring and she had her hair up in a bun and she had her glasses on. I love when she wears her glasses.

"Hey babygirl what's up?" I ask.

"Trying to figure this homework out." She mumbles, looking at the book below the screen.

"Is this a bad time? I can call back." I say, loosening my tie as I walk into my hotel room.

"No it's fine. I could use a break. What's up." She says, closing the book.

"Just got in from the game." I say, plopping down on the bed.

"How was it? I saw the replay of your goal. I'm so proud of you." She says, smiling. Even though she's 2,500 miles away, she still finds ways to be supportive. I love that about her, the hockey girlfriend life definitely suits her.

"Thanks, how's school going?" I ask her.

"I'm stressed beyond belief." She says.
"But you're graduating a year early so it'll all be worth it." I tell her, thinking about her graduating.

"I know, I'm trying." She says, rubbing her face.

We talk for a little while longer before she says "I miss you Mat."

"I miss you too love. This long-distance thing is hard. I'm glad you've stuck by me this long though." I tell her.

"I love you Mat, why wouldn't I. I love the sports atmosphere. I love being around what you love." She says.

"I love you too baby. It's late you should get some sleep." I tell her, her eyes look like they're about to droop and I recall that she has an 8AM Creative Literature class.

"Ok, I'll talk to you later. See you Monday. Do you want me to pick you up from the airport?" She asks. We were almost done this road trip and honestly, I couldn't wait to be back in New York.

"No it's ok, don't rush from school, I think we're taking a bus back anyways." I tell her.

"Ok, I'll talk to you later babe." She says.

"Goodnight babygirl."

"Night Mathew." She says before hanging up.

I go to bed tired but happy that I have less than 2 days left until I get to go home and see my girl. It's been 15 days too long.