Chapter 10 - Realmkeeper

Where am I..?

I remember that I went to bed early because I was feeling really sleepy for some reason..

Oh, then this must be a dream!

"Hello, Nadina Loctine" said a deep and magnetic voice that seemed to have popped out of nowhere

Wtf? Do I have a voice fetish or something because I'm pretty sure I just hallucinated about a dude with a really nice voice... What a weird dream this is..

"Nadina Loctine" the voice repeated.

I know I act like one at certain times, but I'm not an idiot, so I quickly realized that this probably wasn't "just a dream" or "hallucination".

"Who.. are you? Where am I? This isn't actually a dream, is it? Oooooh wait, don't say anything, let me guess.. are you some sort of old grandpa that's here to give me a super awesome golden finger because you took pity on me?"

"W-wha? Old grandpa?! Why on earth did my lady choose someone like you to be the next.. arghh... nevermind. You are partially correct, this is the Void of Planes and I have brought you here to pass on a message from Miranda."

"Miranda? Did something happen? Is she okay?"

"Lady Miranda is perfectly fine, no need to worry. She wanted to notify you that she's going to pass on her seat as the Realmkeeper of Plane 105 to you."

"Waitwaitwait, let me digest this information. First of all, what the hell is a Realmkeeper? Plane 105, is that something edible?"

"... Let's start off with the basics. A plane is an existence that creatures such as humans live on. Let's take Earth as an example. It's a plane that constantly develops at a pace we would consider.. pretty fast and it's where humans and animals live on. There are millions of planes out there and each one has its own Realmkeeper. The planes are ranked by their number, so Plane 105 is ranked 105th out of the millions of planes out there. That's already considered an top notch existence. Meanwhile, a Realmkeeper is the one who manages the plane and make sure that the plane is healthy. As a newly appointed Realmkeeper, your job is no easier than the other veterans because it is to prevent plane invasions from enemies and cast out any irregularities. Minor details like healing a space crack or fixing BUGS can be left to your assistants. BUGS are basically existences that had too much "Blessing", and they can also be known as a son or daughter of the gods above due to the heaven defying luck. How they became so lucky can have various reasons, but I'd say the most common reason is because of a spacial crack that led to a strand of unknown substance from outside of your plane entering the body of the said individual. Assistants, as the name suggests, are those who help Realmkeepers keep their plane healthy and prevent any disasters that are to befall the plane. Each Realmkeeper is only allowed to have 3 Assistants, so choose wisely. That said, if an Assistant dies, the Realmkeeper is allowed to appoint a new one. Forming a contract with an Assistant is easy, you just have to voluntarily give them a bit of your blood and they will be forced to follow you until they die. If there is even the slightest hint of betrayal in their hearts, the contract will devour them. Of course, if you're going to give a beast your blood to create a master and servant contract or donate blood to a dying child, that won't form an assistant bond between you two. Lady Miranda had told me to tell you that contacting her is no problem and she's really sorry for throwing so many responsibilities onto you."

"...I seem to have inherited something incredible."

"Of course. Being a Realmkeeper is a huge privilege and it's something that an ordinary mortal, or even the most powerful mages and swordsmen in Plane 105 can only dream of becoming. But every good thing has an equal amount of negativity in it, so all the responsibilities of this plane are pushed onto you. Which is to say, if the plane perishes, then you're screwed. I have no idea why my lady chose you, but she must have her own reasons. Do not disappoint her."