chapter two

"You know, forget what happened yesterday," I say, flustered. Shikamaru laughs. "You mean, the part where you held-" I put a finger over his mouth. "It didn't happen, got it?" I say. He shakes his head, smiling. "Tsk tsk tsk, Y/n." "H-hey! You didn't even stop me!" I retorted. He didn't have a response for that one. "Girls are confusing." He said, shaking his head. "-especially you." I rolled my eyes.

The class started again, and once again me and him goofed off in secrecy.

After class ended, I went up a few rows and poked at Shikamaru. "Hey, do you wanna work on the project for a bit on the rooftop?" I ask. "I'll ask my Mom." He said. As we reached outside, I waited by the gates and I saw Yoshino nod, then make a happy eye contact with me, giving me a smile and a friendly wave. Me and Shikamaru began walking up the stairs as Yoshino walked back to the Nara house.

When we reached the top, we sat down at a bench.

"You've got something in your hair, Y/n." Shikamaru says. I look over at him. "Where?" I ponder. "Turn back the other way, I'll get it." I turned the other way, and I felt his fingers digging through my hair. Then I felt a soft brush gliding down it. "A brush? From where?" I ask. "Look at my hair. Does it look like it'll stay perfect all day?" He said sarcastically. I laughed.

The brush went down in strokes in my hair, and eventually it was very smooth. I felt it being pulled up tied with a hair tie. "You've got nice hair, Y/n." Shikamaru said, putting his brush away. "Thanks..." I said. I turned back over. I just noticed how close he was. He had probably leaned in to inspect my hair, but I hadn't thought he was this close. He backed up at once, and showed me a mirror. I had the ponytail, and it looked like his but (shorter/longer). I had the infamous Shikamaru's pineapple hair, and it was hilarious! It looked terrible.

"Oh god, what did you do?" I ask, poking at the pointy spikes. How does it stay up? I wonder, smoothing the front. I turned back around. "Take it out." I said, crossing my arms. He just laughed. "I will later."

We got out our project and worked on it until I could hear Shikamaru's mom calling for him. I began to walk home.

---

I saw my elder sister waving from the porch of the house. "Why are you so late, Y/n?" She yelled. Her hands were on her hips ands he did NOT look happy. "I didn't expect you to be home, Hana." I said. She rolls her eyes. "What's with your stupid looking hair? Take it out." Hana ordered. I scrunched my face up. "Who are you to tell me what to do?" I spat. She pulled my hair harshly, taking the hair tie out, my hair falling down.

"We're training, today." She announced sternly, pointing to me. I hummed. "Ninjutsu, Taijutsu?" I asked, expecting her to say one of the given. "You'll see." After she makes a quick dinner, we go to the backyard.

"Listen. You've always been very bad with this." She said, her head bowed down. "But you are a shinobi, not a crybaby." As she looked up, she gave this terribly deathly stare. It was really intimidating, and she looked like she had the intent to kill me at that moment. At that moment I realized, easily my sister could kill me, and she looked like she really, really wanted to.

"Sato's are known to be cold creature shinobi. This means every Sato goes through a heart breaking process." Her eyes narrowed as they stared intensely into mine. "I killed your baby sister when I was 12. You don't have a younger sibling." This news I already knew. Satos were cold and heartless people, they show no emotion so they can leave and not be taken advantage of. I hated being a Sato.

A stray cat and her young meowed from the corner of the backyard. Hana weaved a hand sign and immediately she was there. She held up one of the young kittens and pulled out a kunai from her back pouch. "Me first." She said, slicing against the neck of the kitten. She let go, and at once the baby dropped to floor, dead. She handed me the kunai and walked over.