chapter sixteen

This chapter isn't as boring, so yeah. But I skipped lots of mini-arcs because I didn't want to make you guys read something that isn't super important to the story. Sorry if this offended anyone!

---

When they had woken up, Ino was quick to embrace the both of them in a hug. I stood behind her as she did so, sobbing tears of immense joy. I smiled, an extreme feeling of relief flooding over me.

Naruto saved them. I owe him so, so very much.

I watched the trio as Ino continued to cry, holding her beloved teammates. I watched their two faces, a feeling of happiness and relief as well. I don't know where they were, but I am so grateful that Naruto saved them...

Knowing the two wanted to probably share the moment with Ino, I walked away. It's not like I could take credit, anyways. Ino's the one who took initiative, I was the one freaking out, and Naruto's the one that located them. I was the fool.

I walked away slowly, knowing there was going to be more battle, so I needed to prepare for that.

"Y/n," I smiled hearing his voice, but I wiped it off quickly as I turned around.

"Shikamaru... I..."

I promised you I would never hurt you again.

I rushed forward and embraced him, holding him tightly in my arms. This was also a good time to apologize, but I was in the end just a blubbering mess.

"Shikamaru, I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I... I'm really sorry for everything! I just... I just didn't want you to get hurt and I... I..." He chuckled, hugging me as well.

"Don't worry about out. But you really are a drag." I laughed as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"But this is no time to be hugging, Y/n. We have to focus." He said. I savored the last few seconds in his embrace before straightening up.

"Right. Sorry." I said. I looked in his eyes once more.

That's my best friend, and he always will be.

Even when now I can't stay away from him. When my sister threatened to kill him, I just couldn't stay away from him for long. This is my friend. And I'm going to protect him with my life.

---

So much had passed in a few measly hours. It was night by now, and everyone was trying their best to kill the duo Uchihas with their best try, including myself, even though I know nothing I do will probably be useful.

Suddenly the Ten Tails had jumped out from the ground, growling as it grew in size. We have to stop it! It's killing too many people!

I scanned the crowd quickly to see if Shikamaru was still going. But I couldn't look for long, too much action was ongoing.

Suddenly a large chakra ball was being cultivated from the Ten Tail's mouth. A few shinobi used Earth Style that caused the Ten Tail's control of the chakra ball to go upwards. It, however, was shot a distance far away, causing a large explosion. That thing is too deadly to be alive.

The Ten Tails continued to make more of these chakra balls, destroying villages far away. I could only hope it'd stray away from the Five Great nations.

I looked desperately around the battlefield, searching for Shikamaru's spiky hair.

I watched the chakra ball. It fired toward the direction of...

I saw him, his eyes widened. I rushed over to Shikamaru, the silence filling me with dread. That chakra ball is heading straight for HQ, where Shikamaru and Inojin's fathers are at.