Chapter 6

A whole day has passed since we've last encountered any enemies. We're scheduled to reach the Land of Wind tomorrow evening and so far, progress has been steady.

As we continue our travel, I began to think more about that attack from the other day. There's no way a group of bandits that large would operate without a leader. Not to mention, their attack strategy was extremely sloppy and straightforward. It almost seemed as if that attack was merely to test our manpower. If that's the case, then their leader should've been watching nearby. No, that can't be it. His range doesn't reach far, but I believe Akio would've sensed them if that were the case.

"So you've noticed it too, huh," Satoru Sensei asked as he made his presence known beside me.

"Satoru Sensei," I said in shock. I didn't notice he was there at all.

"Hey!", I uttered after being hit across the head.

"Didn't I teach you to always be aware of your surroundings? Have you not learned anything?"

"Yea. My bad."

"That could very well cost us a mission."

"So, you noticed it too Sensei?"

"Of course I did. It's completely obvious that someone was behind that group of bandits who attacked us. That attack was simply so they could gage our power. They're going to strike again, before we reach the Land of Wind. So stay on your toes. I'm going to warn the others."

With that, Satoru Sensei body flickered away.

I knew it. It's only a matter of time before they strike next.

..........................................

Another hour goes by, and we finally stop for our last break. Once we start back up, we won't stop until nightfall.

"Raijin," I heard and I turned to see Hohimi run up to me.

"Sensei says that we're eating lunch with the Feudal Lord. We're meeting them at the Lord's carrier. C'mon."

"Sure," I nodded as I followed her lead.

Hohimi and I walked over to the Feudal Lord's carrier and saw Satoru Sensei, Akio, and the Feudal Lord preparing to eat.

"Ah, there you are. Come join us," the Feudal Lord said with a smile.

"Yes sir," we said as we obeyed his request and sat to join them for lunch.

Lunch was mostly eaten in silence. It was as if everyone was nervous in the presence of Lord Fukubashi. I don't understand how they could be. He's a very kind old man. When we were just about done with lunch, Lord Fukubashi finally cleared his throat and spoke up.

"So, it seems you three show a lot of promise as shinobi. I guess that's only fair, considering you three are the students of the Legendary Saneiyū himself."

"Really? You think so," Akio asked with a sheepish grin.

"Certainly. If you don't mind me asking, what has driven you to become shinobi?"

"What do you mean by that," Akio asked casually, causing Hohimi to elbow him in the side.

"What else could he possibly mean by that?! Idiot," she scowled.

"Please excuse him Lord Fukubashi."

"It was a legit question."

"Can it!", Hohimi said throwing him a look, causing him to just sit and pout, while Satoru Sensei and Lord Fukubashi laughed. I'm pretty sure he's still scarred from the genjutsu she trapped him in last time. Wimp.