Chapter Three

All is Well

"M-Me?" Choking, I start pounding my chest trying to convince myself that a decent rich-looking man was asking me to see his chairman. Anyone in their right mind would freak out when someone like him appears out of nowhere.

"He wishes to speak with you about something that unfortunately involves you."

As soon as he reaches me a business card, I felt my knees go weak. Getting an invitation to be at LH Corporation is nerve wrecking enough, let alone standing in front of the building – standing on their territory. I know I shouldn't even be scared but I was and now that the chairman is asking for me, I was ready to die.

"Right this way." The man escorts me from the entrance to the elevator, from the elevator to a door. I was standing in front of a door I think that leads to the chairman. I try to heave a deep sigh but my anxiety wouldn't stop attacking me. The man knocks at the door. "Ms. Fukuyama has arrived, sir."

"Come in,"

I gulped – a big one. I thought I knew what nervous felt like until I stepped inside the room and saw the chairman himself. Fireworks were exploding inside my body. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom all of a sudden, I felt like my soul had left me for good.

"Ms. Fukuyama, take a seat." The chairman tells me as he takes a sip from his cup of something. "You may leave." He gestures the man that escorted me. The moment I took a seat across his desk, he crosses his arms and looks straight at me. The more I looked at him, the more I see his resemblance to him. "I'll go straight to the point, Ms. Fukuyama. I don't like you for my son." Mark's father. "I want my son to marry a woman that is capable of feeding him when he gets old. I want him to marry someone who is the same level as him and you're certainly not someone who would qualify that standard."

At that, all I could feel was shame. I never met Mark's father. I know little about his mother as he often talked to me about her and his mourns when she did but I never heard him talk about his father. Now that I was literally sitting in front of him and to be looked down like this for the first meeting was quite brutal.

"I'm arranging an engagement for Mark with Latex's only daughter which means you need to stop meeting my son once this is settled formally."

I met his father's eyes. "I'm sorry but," I paused and felt my heart race. "I'm afraid you can't let Mark be engaged with someone else when our entire school knows my relationship with him."

"That's not really a problem to me, Ms. Fukuyama."

"No,"

He turns to me.

I was mad nervous but I was madder that his father is slapping me virtually right now with painful words about myself. "I'm not letting you make him marry someone he doesn't love and you should be more concerned considering that you're his father," I creased my brows and felt my stomach burn. I needed to fight for him no matter what. "And I'm sorry to say Chairman Lee but I find it very rude for you to talk down at me like that when you don't even know anything about me as well." I won't let our relationship be like one of those stories and movies. I won't let Mark marry someone else. Not even in my dreams.

He was quiet. He probably didn't expect me to disrespect him like this.

"I won't let you take away his freedom when it's the only thing that people have."

He finally nods and finds something from his drawer. "Very well. You've probably seen it but I'll show you still." He hands me a paper and the familiar headline catches my eye. "Take the challenge." The site that was challenging me – he knows about it. "And prove you're worthy of my son."