Chapter Eleven

Run Devil Run: The Seventh Challenge

"Welcome," the host exclaims. "To the sixth battle of the challenge!" The crowd cheers like there was a celebrity on stage. "Let's welcome out sixth contender, Ms. Doha Kim!" I didn't know who the girl was but she was Asian. Are they finally sending someone who's from the same race as us?

"Doha, hm," Mark mumbles next to as he taps his fingers over his chin. "Interesting."

"Why? What's it this time?" Johnny asked.

"For today's challenge, I'm sure everyone will hold their breaths," The host pauses to build the tension between the contest and the audience.

"I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, it would be—"

"—to witness an Archery match between the two ladies!"

"Archery."

Archery? Really?

"Nami's good with focusing on a target, she'll fairly do well for as long as the other girl isn't some kind of an Olympic champion in archery or some bullshit." Taeyong suddenly said which made everyone turn to his in confusion – including me.

"How can you say that?"

"Thanks to her majors, she should be able to hit a target because she's used to being careful and precise with the measurements of her plan layouts. If she doesn't get nervous, she'll pull this off with just that practice itself." Jaehyun surprisingly added.

I guess he was right about me being careful and precise with my works for floor plans and Jaehyun would know since he has had his fair share in knowing the struggles of being an architecture student but me doing archery seemed too impossible to pull off without any practice. I'm definitely losing this one again.

"You're right. Nami can do it." Mark comments and smiles. "It's just that, Doha is one of Korea's Archery Team."

"Great."

"Then hope for some miracle then, Nami." Jaehyun turns back to me and crosses his arms leaning against the railing that sets us apart from the stage. "Just aim and think of it as the phase when you start inking the tracing paper."

"Without further ado, onto the stadium we go!"

Before the actual game, the administrators gave us a ten minute relax time. I wasn't relaxed at all. I was shaking all over my body down to my spine. I wanted to pull this off smoothly but I was too nervous and that was my problem. I can't control my anxiety level and it's getting more and more nervous every time I try to peek at Doha's direction. All these girls seem so confident at what they do and I'm like a lizard running away from just the sound of a small knock.

After ten minutes, someone called me to step in the field and gave me the bow and arrow I must use. The moment I had the bow in my hands, I almost dropped it. It weighed so much more than I expected. My nerves got more ticked. How can I possibly focus now?

The stadium wasn't full but it was occupied by many, that's for sure and it was still a lot for me. All these eyes on me. When dancing, this was normal but eyes on me while I'm about to do something that could embarrass me is a different story. I just don't have the confidence they all have.

"Each player will have three shots. For every shot they hit will be given a score. All scores will be added up after both of their third shots. The first shooter will be, Nami Fukuyama!"

I took a deep breath before I positioned the bow and arrow across my chest. I could see the target. It was so far. I feel like my sight is getting blurry and everything around me was just wobbly and surreal. I took another breath and focused on the red spot. I pulled the string back in position to release. Focus. I pulled the string further back and released.