Chapter Five

This is Me: The First Challenge

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

I looked at Mark who kept asking me the same question for the past twelve hours. He was so worried that it was making me feel more anxious. Last night, the anonymous host of the battle revealed my first challenge. Hailey Hayes. Poetry. It was stated that the poetry writing will be held live and that there will be a given theme. I didn't even know it was going to be like this. I thought I'd be dealing with girls that are physically powerfully. I guess this is better than running which I'm at a full disadvantage.

"You can always back out and nothing will change." Mark grabbed my hand and locked them with his. "You'll always be my princess and you don't have to do anything to prove anyone that."

But I do need to prove someone that. I looked at him in the eyes. I wish I could just tell him that I'm doing this for him but I can't. I wouldn't be doing this if not for you Mark. I smiled at him and nodded. "I want to do this. To show you and everyone that doubts." To win you from your father.

"If it helps, Hailey's a National winner of the World of Poetry every year."

"What?" I turned to Mark in surprise.

He shrugs.

"That does not help my case at all!" I gave him a small punch by the shoulder and frowned in dismay. "How do you even know that?" I asked and he looked uncomfortable. I crossed my arms and this time, he was showing me such obvious answer to my question. "Did you—"

"I," That grin. "I might have dated her for about three days or so back when I was in New York."

I creased my brows deeper. "You dated that girl?!"

"To my defense, I only dated her because I was frustrated and sad about Eunha's death and us migrating to one country to another."

I grunted in disbelief. "You actually dated this girl and you never thought of telling me about it? How did you date such prestigious girl even? Are they blind or something? You're not even that attractive – not even close to, what, Andrew Garfields?"

"Hey," He frowns and gives me a look. "Why are you dating me then if you don't think I'm attractive?"

"I like your player moves that's why I fell for you in the first place." I teased.

"Ha ha." He faked a laugh and I laughed – a real one. "At least I didn't lie about her right now. I could have lied about her and told you she was just some crazy psycho who wanted to be with me during my earlier years."

I scoffed. "Now that," I pointed at him. "Would have sounded more of a lie than her being your ex-girlfriend."

"I've had my fun before." He says. "I've dated here and there but I never was serious. I swear, Nami. They're just— girls I've dated. End of story." He gestures an 'x' with his hands. "Maybe not the end since they're back to ruin my relationship right now."

I stared at Mark. "I can't believe I'm actually going against someone you dated when you were what, three?"

"I was fifteen."

"I was still a baby eating baby food that time and you were already trying to sleep with girls!"

"Please tell me you don't really think of me that way."

I looked away with a sigh. "I can't really judge you now, can I?"

That night, Mark went home late He honestly just came by to ease my wracking nerves which he successfully did except the part where he revealed that I'm competing against a National winner of the field I'm about to enter tomorrow. Let's just hope things turn upside down for me.