Chapter Thirteen

The Scientist: The Ninth Challenge

We were in Mark's place after the competition. According to Johnny, we're supposed to celebrate my success but I opposed to the idea because I haven't won yet. I'm still at risk at this point because I don't know my odds in the future.

I was, at the moment, lying over Mark's chest, feeling his stable heartbeat. It was calming for some reason. "The song you made." His chest vibrates to the sound of his voice. I looked up to him in wonder. "If Fairytales Exist. Why—"

"It's not what you think."

He looks at me with piercing eyes that I absolutely love.

"It's not that I'm not happy with us. It's just that sometimes I wonder," I blinked and gulped. "Why a prince like you would keep an old dirty rag like me. It just bothers me sometimes to think how lucky I am to have you by my side all the time."

He smiles and brushes his fingers over my cheeks. "Why do you have thoughts like that princess? It makes me sad to see you think this way."

"It's just surreal. Like a fairytale. It's unexpected in some way and I always thought that guys like you would be after gems and princesses but I'm nowhere near any of those. I feel like you're too good for me to—"

He suddenly pressed his finger over my lips shushing me. "Stop talking. You're hurting my ears." He laughs. "And you are a princess to me. Stop with the negativity, okay? You're the only girl I'll ever love."

"I'm not sure if you noticed but," Someone suddenly clears his throat and when I looked around, I see the guys looking at our direction with such teasing glares with a mix of disgust glares. "This is not a private room in the house."

"The song was beautiful." Mark smiled. "You earn that. And you won. That proves it."

After a few movies and a lot of eating and Taeyong already sound asleep by the couch, the living room was quiet until someone yells, "The blog announced the next challenge!" I immediately jumped up from my seat and grabbed Johnny's phone to look.

Announcement

The next challenge will be a battle of the brains. Gear your brains up for a spectacular clash between brains!

Academic this time. I got no issues with my academics. I was always a good student during my middle school and junior years. "I just have to study well right?" I looked at the other guys and they all seemed worried.

"Are you sure you can handle all subjects in a week with all the different branches of every concept?" Jaehyun asked.

That's that.

During the whole week, Mark and his friends, but mostly HIkaru, helped me study for the challenge. I was focusing on the challenge more than my department responsibilities now and I'm scared that it might affect my grades soon.

Friday night, I decided to stay at the library so it's easier to get and return the books I'm reading. I had to read these if I wanted to win at least but the problem was I didn't know what subject it was. I just knew it was going to be either English, Science, or Math. If not, I'm screwed. I tried to remember everything that I was reading.

"I think it's going to be English." Mark says.

I stared at him in pity. He looked so tired and sleepy. If he didn't insist to come with me here, I wouldn't have let me come. He was tired from school and now he's sting his time to be here with me. "You didn't have to come here with me, Mark."

He frowns. "How am I a good boyfriend if I leave my princess alone in this fight?"

I smiled and when he smiled back, I turned back to reading the book I was currently at. There were a lot of words and my brain's almost giving up. It's heating up and I don't even think that's possible.

I opened my eyes wide before I let out a yawn, stretching my back. I turned and saw Mark with his face dropped against a book. I chuckled and stared at him sleeping. Everything will be worth it after all of this

Standing up, I stretched my legs and feet this time. We were the only ones in the library now. I barely touched the food Mark ordered for me. I looked to my right and I still had about seven books to read so I can at least feed my brain with knowledge I might need for the quiz bee thing tomorrow.

I headed out to go buy some coffee and when I approached the nearest coffee machine, it was already empty. I groaned in frustration. I didn't want to walk to the convenient store right now. It was too far and it's going to waste my time.

"Coffee?"

I turned in fright and I was relieve to see Taeyong standing by with a can of coffee. I nodded. "Unfortunately..." I pointed at the 'empty' sign taped over the machine.

"Here." He hands me the coffee.

"You don't—"

He grabs my hand and gives me the can forcefully. "You're welcome."

"Thank you." He was about to turn and walk away but he stopped when he heard me say, "And also for the running thing." He wasn't turning to me. He just froze. "I know you did something to Bora that time. I wouldn't have won."

"Told ya I got you." He replied without turning back and finally leaves.

And for everything you've done for me – Taeyong.

"Good morning, ladies and gents! Today, will be interesting. Not only will our contestants be judged by their skills in different fields, they will also prove if they have good brains! Today contender, is the ever brilliant..." A girl started walking up to the stage. "Jin Chaewon!" The girl waved at the crowd in pride. "And of course, Nami Fukuyama."

The two of us stood next to each other before two men made us sit in a chair with a table they set up for us. "Here we have chalkboards and chalks for each contestant. For every number, you get thirty seconds to answer the question. Are you guys ready?"

Even if I shook my head, they wouldn't consider my answer so I just remained quiet and watched Chaewon nod in excite.

"You guessed it... Science."