Chapter Seventeen

Tie Breaker: Just Wanna Be With You

"I don't know how to face you after losing that battle." I covered my face when Mark walks towards me and I attempt to hide away from him. "Don't look at me. I'm so embarrassed. I should have just bailed on that."

He laughs and brings my hands down before staring at my probably red face. "I told you! You did great. There's nothing to be ashamed of. If anything, you should be praised for being strong and stubborn with a broken ankle. Are they not hurting?"

I looked at my foot and surprisingly, it didn't hurt as much as it first did. I looked back up to Mark shaking my head. "They don't."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

The next Saturday, I was bugged by what I'm about to face yet again. "The tie breaking challenge will be an escape room one. Each contingent will be put in identical escape rooms which they will need to figure out how to get out and whoever gets out first, will be the winner for the overall challenge. Let's all welcome, our final contingent... Ms. Tessa Brooke!"

I've always liked playing escape rooms but I don't know if I'm particularly good at it in real life so I guess this is it. This is my last chance. This is the last challenge that will determine my fate. I have to win.

"In three..."

Last chance.

"Two..."

To win.

"One..."

Mark.

The buzz went off. I was all over the place. I was trying to observe the entire room. The neon lights hurt my eye a lot and everything was so messy and it looked like a murder was just committed here. It was like a crime scene.

The escape room wasn't that big or fancy. It was just a small room with tattered objects and hints and not-hints scattered all over the small place. The first hint was easy to find. The problem solving and the riddles were the hard ones and I did manage to escape the room only I did it later than Tessa. She was fast. She was like a detective and I felt more pressured every time her buzz rings telling me that she just found another thing.

I stepped out of the room in dismay. My heart was shattering into pieces. I felt like my whole body was being pinned with needles and being punched by buffed wrestling players. I felt so weak and broken hearted.

"Nami..."

I looked up and saw Mark, teary eyed. "I'm sorry."

Mark shakes his head and steps closer to me, cupping my face with his hands. "Nothing will change, Nami. I'm not going to be with another person because of some stupid game they put you through."

I shook my head unable to stop my tears from falling. I stepped away from Mark before turning away and ran away as fast as I could. I lost. I can't believe I lost. I can't believe I just proved how unworthy I am for Chairman Lee's son. I'm so disappointed at myself.

"Nami-chan."

"Karu-kun," I turned around and saw him stop running after me. I ran to him and jumped over his arms, crying over his shoulder. "I lost. I don't want to lose Mark. I'm not ready to see him with another girl. I just can't believe I lost him of that bet with his father."

"It's better to know that you risked and tried instead of not trying at all. What would Mark think if he suddenly gets arranged with someone and he found out you had something you should have done but you declined because you were scared? You did everything you could, Nami. Stop blaming yourself."

"What do I do? What will happen if he gets arranged?"

He sighed. "If you're really meant for each other, fate will have its own way."