Rescue mission (I)

At 46, Eldi had recovered Electrolysis, which basically apply electricity to water, causing damage and paralysis, and whose compatibility was at 3.

Then, he had obtained Sandstorm, which blinds both adversaries and allies, or even himself, in the area where the storm unleashes. It is difficult to attack the enemies inside the storm, and its cost is high, but it's useful to buy some time. It was at compatibility 6.

And at 48, he had unlocked Disguise, a spell that allowed him to hide his own strength, being able to conceal three quarters of his power at compatibility 10, at which he had. They had used it often when they had to farm at low levels areas, thus preventing their prey from escaping after noticing them. It's worth mentioning that it isn't absolute, because if a power higher to the level that is being falsely displayed is used, it loses its facade.

The Head-butt skill, which was at 8, is a quick blow with the head that knocks out your opponent and harms him, in exchange for suffering the consequences yourself, lightened if a helmet is worn.

At 47, he got Elbowing, a blow with the elbow much stronger than if it were done without the skill. Its effect is similar to Head-butt, but less harmful and without contraindications, as well as cheaper. He had used it quite often in certain kind of missions. Therefore, it was at 10.

And at 48, there was Boxing, a skill to be more effective with fists, and essential, along with the previous two, for fights in taverns, quite popular in the game. He also had it at 10.

The victory had been much more overwhelming than could be expected against enemies of a much higher level than theirs, but there were also wounded warriors and broken weapons. They were resting and recovering under the influence of Sanctuary, while some were on duty, and others were exploring the surroundings.

Eldi also rested, somewhat exhausted, and with his mana almost empty after treating the wounded and delivering blessings among the explorers.

"It looks like that they are gathered in the center of the city. We have detected thirty toads, but there must be more. We haven't been able to get too close," informed an explorer.

It was what they were expecting, that the toads were in an area that bordered an artificial lake, near land and water. There were large buildings there, or one could also say that there were great holes, where amphibians could take refuge. And one of them was the room dedicated to crafting, where perhaps there could still be some platform that they would like to take back, since they were something very valuable for them.

It was also the area where writings could be found. They didn't expect to find weapons or treasures, since, probably, the inhabitants of the city had taken them when they left. Only something as big as a crafting platform was likely to be left behind.

"When the others arrive we'll return. It's too dangerous to stay here longer," Fita announced.

It was something that had already been talked about. Their mission was to explore, to get an idea about ​​the situation there and, if they were lucky, bring back with them whatever they found. But they weren't going to risk the lives of the group beyond what was necessary.

However, when the scouts in charge of the western part of the city returned, their plans took a turn.

"There are more than forty of those toads surrounding a huge building, I think it's the library. There are at least ten per level, and the building has four or five levels," one of the scouts explained.

Unlike the buildings on the surface, that rise to the sky, there, each floor is in a different level, each with its streets and buildings. Normally, you can enter directly through any of the levels, so they can also be used to move from one level to another.

The huge library had taken advantage of that to concentrate the knowledge in a floor according to the level it was at. Thus, the children's floor was in the level where nurseries or schools had been. Or the area that contained information on weapons and fighting techniques was next to what had been the warriors' neighborhood.

"There was a transmission to another nexus. They were told not to enter, to seal it at once, while they were saying goodbye, while they were assuring that they would endure as far as they could, but that there were no escape. They are our kin, they are brothers, they have been trapped for several days!" said another one of them, exalted. It was hard for him to control his emotions.

Those words startled the hearts of all present. They couldn't leave like that, turning their backs on them, no matter for how many hundreds of years they hadn't contacted each other.

Fita looked at Eldi to tell him something, but he spoke first.

"If you are going to tell me that I don't need to go, that it's your business, you're wasting your time," he declared, guessing her intentions.

She was surprised that he knew what she was going to say, but her companions weren't. It was typical of her, and even the foreigner was beginning to know her. She cracked what between the mole-people is a smile, and nodded gratefully. Everyone agreed, now they only needed a plan.

Bored, one of the toads was looking towards one of the library entrances, too small for it. And the great doors, through which they could have entered, had been sealed centuries ago. It didn't understand what it was doing there, just that it shouldn't let any bugs out, notify if they appeared through that little hole, and that they were orders from the alpha toad. It didn't have the intelligence to assess its situation, but enough to obey the one which was much more powerful than itself, which, at level 60, had acquired the ability to develop its brain beyond what its species is supposed to.

A bug of several levels below its suddenly appeared in the distance, and fled into a building with an entrance large enough for the toad, which didn't even consider ignoring its instincts and not hunting an appetizing prey.

The prey was trapped, it couldn't escape from there, and was snuggling against the far wall, so it approached to have it within reach of its tongue. However, the ground gave way under its legs, causing it to fall on the sharp ice in the bottom. Suddenly, many of those bugs came out of the shadows and attacked it, without giving the toad time to counterattack or croak the alarm.

Without raising their voices, the warriors-mole prepared to move forward. It was the third toad they had gotten rid of, all level 50 or 51, thus clearing the way to the library. They had decided to start on the lower floor, because they wanted to avoid having to divide into two fronts, the one above and the one below.