Ambush

"What does this mean? We had a deal," the black-haired man got angry.

"Yes, we had a deal, but things have changed. Now, they offer triple for your head," answered a woman with long red hair, who was hiding her face behind a fan with the image of an embroidered eagle.

"Damn little bird," muttered the woman with black hair who was with the man, mocking the alias with which the other woman called herself.

Both were surrounded by eight armed opponents, of levels only slightly lower than theirs, which was amply made up for by the difference in number. It was obvious that they were expert assassins who had been called to kill them.

"Just surrender sister," the man addressed the latter.

"I already knew you were a traitor without principles, but at least you could have waited another week," the black-haired woman reproached the redhead again.

"One week? What do you mean?" asked Eagle of Fire confused.

"Get over it, Lid, you've lost," the man gloated.

"Okay, okay, you win Líod. I accept defeat... Next time I'll invite... Damn traitorous little bird!" Lidia grumbled at her brother's mocking smile.

She didn't like losing, even if it was a bet as absurd as how long it would take her to betray them.

"It's Eagle of Fire!" protested the red-haired woman.

"Yes, yes, little bird. You're so stupid and greedy that you haven't been able to wait. They would've continued to raise the reward on our heads if you had had more patience. And I would have won."

The last sentence was said in a whisper, while her brother was laughing.

"Well, can we start? I want to try Dad's gift," Líodon challenged them, drawing his sword.

"It'd be better if you gave up, you can't win. And you are worth more alive."

"Why don't stop squawking nonsense, little bird?" Lidia provoked her, clearly irritated.

"Damn bitch... Kill them!" ordered Eagle of Fire.

The eight assassins attacked at the same time. All of them had their faces covered, hiding their identity, and were wielding different weapons. Three of them began ranged attack, with arrows, shurikens and knives, while the other five pounced with different types of swords and daggers, a kind of sticks attached with chains, or metal gloves equipped with sharp spikes, as fingernails.

But the twins' defense was impenetrable, complementing each other as if they were one. Each weakness was covered with extraordinary skill by the other, attacking in the gaps left by their sibling without fear of being injured in an oversight. Their coordination was something extremely difficult to find, and more so in warriors of their level and experience. It is necessary to fight a lifetime together to reach that level, to be able to understand each other in each movement.

They repelled with some ease their enemies' projectiles and attacks, leaving even marks on their weapons, and cutting off some of the virtually invisible threads that one of them was trying to weave around them. They were extremely hard and flexible, for which their owner couldn't believe they were cut so easily.

"These swords are incredible," Líodon was amazed.

"I'll have to thank dad again," Lidia admired them too.

Both had already tested and practiced with them, but it isn't the same to wield them in real combat.

"Does that mean that you'll overlook that he's been spotted?" laughed his brother.

"Nonsense! I won't miss that opportunity!" Lidia laughed too.

Eagle of Fire was furious at the apparent calm and ease with which his targets were defending themselves. She knew they were strong, so she had brought eight experienced assassins. She was sure it was enough.

These assassins, far from being intimidated, decided to use their most powerful techniques. They preferred not to resort to them if it wasn't necessary, among other things because they could make every trace of their targets disappear, and they usually needed proof for their employers. However, they had recognized the strength of their opponents, so they attacked with everything.

Concentrated magic capable of piercing armor. Projectiles that exploded in poisonous clouds when they were blocked. Multiple arrows with orichalcum head, reserved for special situations. Skills that attacked with their weapons or reinforced them. All this was thrown at once against the twins, who became engulfed in a thick fog.

"Stupid siblings. It would've been better for them to surrender," Eagle of Fire dismissed them.

But when the fog began to dissipate, both figures were still standing there. The attacks had been blocked by Dual Shield, a strong defense extremely difficult to master, as it needs two people to carry it out, and a great synchrony in their energies. This was followed by Binary Supernova, a burst of light that blinded everyone for an instant, even the assassins who hadn't let their guard down.

Both spells were unexpected, as it was counted on the fingers of one hand the people who knew that the twins had mastered them. The rest of those who had seen them hadn't lived to tell. In addition, due to the difficulty in learning conditions, requiring two people with great affinity and ability, they were extremely rare. In fact, it wasn't known of anybody who could cast them.

Usually, they would have taken the opportunity to attack melee, but, on that occasion, they clashed the swords and made a movement as if they were going to throw them forward, but without releasing them.

About six blades of light came out of them, attacking the assassins and killing one of them, while injuring other four of varying severity, including amputated limbs. It was incredibly fast, being its destructive power too strong for normal weapons or defenses, so the expert assassins, caught by surprise and blinded, could barely defend against them.

The one who had fallen on the ground without a leg was quickly killed off by Lidia, piercing his neck, while the one who had lost a hand couldn't defend against Líodon's fast attack, who had imbued his sword with fire. Both were battle mages, like their father, from whom they had learned some spells and skills. Since childhood, they had wanted to imitate him, and both had succeeded in part. Although neither the choice of weapons nor all their spells and skills were the same.

Eagle of Fire and some of the assassins tried to flee, terrified by what they had just witnessed, but the exit was blocked.

"Good job, Ted," praised Líodon.

"Thanks uncle. Don't worry, we have cleaned out here," said a voice coming from outside.

"This is my boy! It feels like it was yesterday when I was breastfeeding him!"

"Mom!" He protested embarrassed.

His mother and uncle laughed, not stopping observing the movements around for a moment. None of their enemies were going to escape alive from there, it was clear who was the predator and who was the prey. It only remained to know if they could get some information.