Panic

Unlike other occasions, there had been no discussions or fights at the meeting, in which everyone had silently listened to the disturbing latest news. Some of them had rushed out of the room once it was over, with the intention of summoning their children or nephews, and reprimanding them for their actions.

Until now, they had spoiled the younger generation, acquiescent about their actions, as long as they weren't against their own interests. After all, "they were young," and the fate of a few vassals "lacked importance."

However, after the last events, they couldn't afford to continue acting like that. They had to discipline those spoiled young noblemen for their own good, before something could happen to them.

The bodies of three young noblemen and their bodyguards had been found inside the residence of the uncle of one of them, the count. It was known that this group was especially despotic in their dealings with ordinary citizens, and it was suspected that they had more than crossed the line several times. If not, the counts themselves wouldn't have removed them from their inner circle, although that was all they had done.

The message of their deaths was clear: that kind of attitude was no longer tolerated, besides having the ability to reach the heart of the residence of a powerful nobleman. That it was signed by Eldi Hnefa had caused panic to spread in the meeting room, fearing for the lives of those who had gone too far, and even their own. They didn't even know if they were safe in their own home.

In addition, they were certain that the rebels would be inspired by his actions. So, from then on, they would all have to be careful, fearing even their own shadows. It didn't matter that the events had happened at the other end of the kingdom.

The others nobles were also worried, since they didn't know exactly what they were facing. Neither they nor their children were guilty of the crimes of those who had panicked, but didn't know what exactly the visitor's intentions were. Most of them decided to keep waiting and strengthen their security. They didn't want to be his enemies, but they couldn't know if they already were, if Eldi Hnefa was only against the most corrupt nobles, or against all the nobility.

"We have underestimated him," Elsa lamented.

"Although somewhat unexpected, the murders aren't out of the predictions," Ricardo contradicted her.

She looked confused for a moment.

"Oh, sure! I haven't told you yet..."

He looked at her with a frown, waiting for more bad news.

"A level 84 assassin, who was in the same city as the murdered youths, has disappeared. Most likely, he died at the hands of our visitor."

The wrinkles on his forehead deepened, while his face was unable to hide his concern.

"Are you saying that his level is above 80!? What was he doing then in a dungeon like that!?" the man questioned.

"We can't be sure, it is only an assumption, but it's the most probable one. Or maybe someone helped him, which would mean that he has contacted the resistance. Or maybe, the assassin had other problems, although it would be very coincidental. Nor do we know what he has been doing since the last time. The truth is that we don't know much."

Ricardo sighed at the new information and at Elsa's carefree attitude. Once again, she seemed to have fun. The worst part was that he would have to inform the queen soon, and he knew she would be furious.

The rebels were elated. They had feared that the visitor wouldn't appear again, that he could have been captured or executed, but it hadn't been so. He had appeared in an unexpected place, and put an end to the crimes of a group of nobles who thought they could go unpunished. They were discussing whether they should follow their example and how to do it, when Threefingers arrived at the meeting. Everyone looked at him expectantly, for it was a bit strange that he was late.

"I've been informed that they have contacted the visitor. For a while, he'll remain hidden. I don't know the reasons, I don't know what pending matters he has to care of, but I do know that he has said he'll return. Now we have to decide what we are going to do in the meantime, but my vote is that we be patient," he announced without delay.

"Where is he?"

"When will he return?"

"Is it really him?"

"What's his strength?"

Threefingers sighed, cursing Lidia inwardly for having left him with that chore. It was going to be a long night in which they wouldn't stop harassing him with questions for which he had no answers, while trying to calm down them, and prevent them from being reckless in their actions.

He didn't think it was easy to convince them to wait. In fact, he was sure he couldn't achieve it completely. But, at least, he would try to keep most of them from acting impulsively.

However, what intrigued him the most was why Lidia had asked him to tell that. He knew that she was as aware as him of the existence of spies, so he supposed that she wanted that information leaked, although he didn't know what for. Anyway, he trusted her. After all, if it weren't for her, he wouldn't only have lost two fingers.

He hit the ground irritated, and cursed loudly several times, until he finally calmed down. But despite the anger, he felt enormously happy. His sister had provoked and irritated him, as she always did, but she had also given him great news: their father had returned.

He lay down and looked at the stars with his golden eyes, without suppressing the smile that appeared on his face as he remembered his sister's simple words: "He has returned." Then, he remembered the following words, mocking him for finding their father first, so he hit the ground furiously again.

"Damn Lid!"

But he immediately laughed, wondering what was the gift that his sister was talking about. She had refused to tell him more, but, in the tone of her voice, he could guess that she was very excited. He knew her too well. After all, they were twins.