Enemy in the shadows

When Eldi left, many purple eyes followed him, and then stared for a long time at the place where his figure had disappeared. They knew that he still had hard tests to overcome, but they trusted the prophecy, the destiny. Now that part of it had been shown, they had not only regained their faith, but it had grown stronger.

During their exile, they had tried to cling to that vague hope, but they had never had the slightest sign that it could be fulfilled. The slightest sign that it was a real prophecy. That their hopes weren't just an illusion created by themselves. Until now.

Finally, they turned around, ready to work hard. Much remained to be done. Among other things, finding two other heroes, or perhaps just one more. They didn't know how long it would take, but they were convinced they would, especially when they looked at a small construction that they now considered almost sacred. It had been sealed after the chosen one had left a Gate Mark to come back.

There was a strange atmosphere in the group. The others knew that they shouldn't ask the visitor about what had happened, although curiosity was killing them. And this one knew it, but he couldn't speak about it.

There was an enemy lurking, and he couldn't risk giving him the slightest clue. And while he trusted the elves, explaining it to them would only increase the chance that some information might leak. A secret is less secret when more people know about it.

He glanced back a moment, toward the village whose outline had already been swallowed up by the jungle. Then, he sighed, trying to get those thoughts out of his mind. The time to worry about it had not yet come. For now, there were other matters to attend to.

The first was to finish crafting his equipment. Then, he had to go to the place pointed by the Oracle. And finally, Eldi needed to regain his power and return to Engenak. And, somewhere in between, he wanted to find Melia. Or, at least, some clues.

The mere memory of the dryad filled his heart with longing, hope and apprehension, wondering once again if he would find her, or how she would receive him. But despite the fear, he was willing to find the answer.

He took out of his inventory a level 75 ring that he had crafted, by following the recipes that Menxolor had taught him, that the purple-skinned man had almost begged to teach him. It had fine engravings that evoked plants, and a small green gem. He held it tight against his chest. It reminded him of Melia.

His fellow elves stayed in the last village, waiting for the crafting of the weapons they were going to carry back. They had made a farewell dinner, with the remaining sky-blue baboon meat, seasoned with a multitude of fruits and herbs. He had to admit that it was delicious.

He waved his arm once more to say goodbye to them, before losing himself in the thicket. He hoped to see them again. There were many whom he wished to see again. Although none as much as their children. He was afraid they would be to reckless. He needed to gain power as soon as possible.

"It's getting stronger and stronger," he told himself.

The feeling of being watched continued to grow. In each village, there was some surprise at the high activity of the spirits after the arrival of the group, although none seemed to care.

However, now that he was alone and the feeling continued to grow, he couldn't help but wonder what was happening, what those spirits wanted from him. But he had no answer other than silence, and that these continued to follow him throughout his journey.

Not even when a huge frog attacked him did the feeling disappear. Its striking colors told him it was poisonous, and the scorched plants seemed to confirm it. Over them had fallen the Spit that Eldi had dodged, destroying them almost entirely.

He decided not to approach and attack with Javelin, but the spear wasn't able to pierce the slimy body. The frog's attacks weren't effective either, since he was hiding from the ranged ones behind a huge tree, which, surprisingly, was able to resist the poison or acid of the amphibian.

When it used its long tongue to attack, the battle mage released a Frozen Blast, causing the freezing cold of the spell to affect the tongue. Cold was one of the frog's weak points, so this not only caused its tongue to be rendered useless, but it provoked a strong shock to it.

Eldi took the opportunity to use Javelin again, which this time pierced through its open mouth. With part of its tongue half frozen, it hadn't been able to close it, and the most vulnerable part of its body had been attacked by three consecutive spears, ending with a certain little fairy collecting, among others, the poison of the amphibian.

He had crossed a small stream, and drunk from the delicious cold water. There was something strange in the environment. The permanent feeling of being watched had suddenly changed, as if hundreds of small invisible shapes had begun to move from one place to another, somewhat excited.

He didn't feel danger, but he was high alert to an unfamiliar and strange situation.

"Is there something that scared them? Perhaps they have discovered something? Have they gotten tired of me and found another distraction? Am I getting paranoid?" he muttered himself, unable to find an answer.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" a woman's voice suddenly interrupted him.

There was a slight tone of menace in that voice, though not hostility. Rather caution. But it wasn't that what surprised Eldi, and made him turn towards the voice. Although he found nothing. There were only trees and jungle.

Suddenly, an incredibly fast arrow struck a tree, just a few inches from the high human. The power of that arrow was threatening, as it had entered several inches into the trunk.

Immediately, a big cat pounced at him, something that completely surprised him, catching him completely off guard. It was the first time that Bat's Hearing had failed to warn him of danger, leaving him defenseless in the face of the powerful animal's sneak attack, and putting him in serious danger. Not only did he not have time to block the attack, but there was another powerful enemy hidden in the shadows.