Goltrenak

The name of the kingdom of Goltrenak is somewhat strange, since it isn't a kingdom despite its name. It had been in the past, but now it was governed by a Kingdom Council, often in dispute. In fact, Lidia had explained about the suspicion of a power in the shadows that prevents unity, in order to maintain its influence.

The important cities govern themselves, some with a nobleman in charge, others with a Citizen Council, some with a more or less democratic government. It is a country made up of a multitude of city states that trade with each other, while the multiple villages are mainly engaged in hunting, livestock, agriculture or mining, usually being under the domain of one of the nobles.

There had been an exception a few dozen years ago, when a visitor had, for the first time in several centuries, been appointed king. But he had ended up being a despot, hated by his own, and one day he disappeared without a trace.

Thus, it is a kingdom without a king, full of contrasts, and a comfortable neighbor for neighboring nations, because they aren't in danger of being attacked. It is almost impossible for so many different personalities to form a common front to invade other territories. However, these neighboring nations avoid being the ones that initiate hostilities, for the kingdom does unite to defend itself. And last time it did, reprisals against the invading nation had meant the death of the kings and most of the nobles from that nation.

In addition, it is a kingdom whose inhabitants belong to different races. The areas closest to Engenak are mostly human. The areas adjacent to the Elven nation are mostly elves, while the other areas are inhabited mainly by races of what appears to be a mixture between animals and humans. In the game they were called demihumans, but it is better not to call them that in front of them. These demihumans are divided into several races, being more abundant the closer they are to their respective places of origin.

And in the capital, located in the center, there is simply a mixture of all of them. Perhaps, one of the reasons why it is such a divided nation is precisely because of the differences in races and cultures. And it is difficult to say what unites them if seen from outside, but it becomes evident once you know the capital in depth, and discover the wealth derived precisely from those different cultures.

There are richer and poorer areas. More guarded and more abandoned areas. More friendly areas and areas which treat foreigners with suspicion. And what he found in the first village in which he stopped, surrounded by a wooden wall, were distrustful gazes.

He bought some food and asked for some directions, but decided not to stay there despite being late in the evening. They didn't seem to like foreigners, and he preferred to sleep in the woods, near the road. After all, with his tent and Sleepyhead's Shield, he was comfortable and protected enough, feeling more secure than surrounded by people who distrusted him. In addition, the level of that forest barely reached 20, so he had little to fear.

It can't be said that the distrust from the villagers was a whim. Bandits operated in that area, as Eldi would soon discover. The sun had barely risen, and he was just waking up, when several of them passed near his shield. They looked dirty, although they seemed better fed than the villagers he had left behind.

He told himself that it wasn't his problem, that he shouldn't get involved in those matters, but was unable to convince himself. He soon followed them at a distance, using Sharpening Senses to listen to their steps. When they finally stopped, he came close enough to hear their conversation.

"My contact has said they left two hours ago. The caravan will arrive soon," one of them explained.

"They should've paid the protection. That way, we wouldn't have to get up early," another one scoffed.

"Whatever. Kill them all, we already have enough entertainments at the base," ordered the one with the highest level, 35.

"At your orders, boss!"

Eldi frowned. It was none of his business, he didn't know the bandits or their victims, but he couldn't help it. He hastened to prepare several holes with Icicles, because he could hear the noise from the wagons.

He climbed a tree from which he could see some of the bandits, and took out a level 40 bow he had made in the town-mole. He had no special skills for the bow, and his affinity was only 5, but the difference in level was large enough, so the first arrow stuck deep in the thigh of one of them.

The high human had aimed at the heart, but, at that distance, he wasn't precise enough. If he had been Goldmi, she could have done away with everyone she had in sight in no time, maybe even some of those out of her sight. But he wasn't.

He fired two more arrows, one that wounded a shoulder, and another that was dodged, before the bandits reacted and fired at him. He hid behind the trunk, against which some arrows were nailed.

"It's just one," said one of the bandits, after using a skill to detect living beings.

"You five, go for him. He probably has an escape route, so don't chase him too far," the boss ordered.

And they did it like that. But Eldi had no escape route, but an ambush. Two of them fell into the traps, while the other three were locked in two Burning Prisons. He killed off one of those who had fallen into the holes with a spear, while the other had already been pierced in the heart by an Icicle.

Immediately, he used Shred several times to end the two bandits locked in the same cell. When the last one saw his companions falling, he decided to take a risk and go through the Burning Prison. Given the difference in level and its null resistance to fire, he suffered severe burns, although it was Boomerang what finished him off.